Home remedy for conjunctivitis?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bladesmith, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

DW found 4 kittens in the yard last night whilst I was away. Darling little things but a bit scrawny. One of them has the ol goopy eyes and a slight upper resp infection. Anyone know a home remedy for conjuntivitis? Can we use Neosporin ointment maybe? Thanks in advance!

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

First use wet, warm washcloths to clean eyes. Then, wipe with yogurt soaked cotton balls. Use homemade yogurt or plain NOT SWEETENED store bought.

WASH YOUR HANDS THOROUGHLY after handling the kittens, or you will have pink eye, too.

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Our local feed stores sell Opthalmic ointment for about $8.00 per tube. Its much safer - eyes are delicate things. Yogurt may have too much acid in it for use in eyes. Human opthalmic ointment will work as well.

4. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

If its bacterial conjunctivitis colloidal silver will cure it quickly. It will cost about 20.00 for a small bottle but this is a good product to have on hand.

5. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I agree. One or two drops in each eye and it will clear up in a day or two.

Sarah

6. Tempest

Tempest Well-Known Member

I was going to mention the colloidal silver as well. One dose worked overnight on my daughter when I got it in before it got too bad.

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

kittens with goopy eyes generally have chlamydia, it comes from the mother, washing them with simple warm water on a cotton ball 2x a day will clear it up , and the kitten will be fine, please dont medicate unless truely needed !!!

gooey eyes in outside kittens is SOOOO normal!!!!
    Beth

8. connie in WV

connie in WV Site Admin's Boss

I use Boric Acid (sounds terrible I know, I even double checked with the pharmacist). It's a powder you get at the drug store. It looks and feels like baking soda. Dissolve it in water and wash the eyes a couple of times a day. My mom used it on us when we were kids. Now I use it on my kids and critters.

9. RAC

RAC Guest

I remember boric solution too--I mentioned it to the doctor when taking in my little one--and he thought it odd that I would even mention it with the other stuff available these days.

10. Liley5

Liley5 New Member

Breast milk works wonderfully if you know anyone currently nursing a baby.

11. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

I use tea bags on our wee fuzzies with goopy eyes. A tea bag in boiling water, then cooled to warm used as a sponge to wipe away slime, then a new teabag 9also in hot water, cooled) pressed agains the eyes a a compress. little ones might not want to hold still for the compress, but you can simply drip it into the eye. It is safe and not stingy for them.
    Babs