Home Remedies For Swollen Feet?

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by milkinpigs, Jan 8, 2007.

1. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

My mother, 74, is having problems with swollen feet. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what she might do at home? She doesn't believe in running to the doctor for every little thing.

2. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

Every night soak them in hot salt water in a fancy foot-bath-hot-water-bubbler thingy, and then everyday wear support hose.

3. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

You might want to have her heart checked - edema - swollen feet/legs are a sign the heart is NOT pumping correctly and causing poor circulation in the extremities. She may need to get a prescription to get rid of excess fluid that may be building up in her body - early sign of congestive heart failure many times.

4. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll second what goatlady says...

in addition, if you soak in alternating hot/cold water...say for 5 minutes each, two times, it ought to help reduce swelling. Old waitresses remedy :)

mon

5. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    What goatlady said.

6. davaseco

davaseco HERE chickie-chick-chick

I added Vit. B-6 to my diet when I retained water during my pregancy. Limiting salt intake helps alot also.

7. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

This is not a little thing. This is very often a sign of congestive heart problems.

Congestive heart trouble is treated with either a diuretic (her generation called them "water pills") or a pill to make her heart beat better. Decreasing sodium intake is commonly used as well, but is often not enough.

8. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

I have this problem and i find that elevating them helps a lot. Good luck and I second what the others say about talkin to the doctor.

Peace