Home remedies for cold/flu needed!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DixyDoodle, Oct 19, 2006.

1. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

Does anyone have any good home remedies for colds/flu? I am sooo miserable here.

The kids have both had it already, and bounced back easily. Myself on the other hand, have spent a day already in bed. It hit me like a truck yesterday and I finally gave in to the misery and crashed for good at 8pm. Feeling a bit better today, but it's a safe bet there won't be much work getting done today either. But anyhow, enough of my pitiful whining.

Coughing, watery eyes, runny nose, achy skin, the usual cold symptoms. My son also had it, but he also got an ear infection to go with it. My own ears are starting to feel wonky; not a good sign. I've used pretty much everything that I could get from the drug store (that would be a "pharmacy" to Cabin Fever, hehehe, sorry, I just had to add that.;))

Sooooo....you all have anything I can try from the cupboard? Especially for the coughing and maybe something to use for eardrops to stop them from feeling so achy/stuffy?

Any help is appreciated! :)

DD

2. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I make a tonic out of onions, garlic, horseradish, ginger and hot peppers. That all gets chopped and blended with apple cider vinegar (look up SUPERTONIC recipes on-line if you're interested). I let it steep in the cupboard in a glass jar for a couple of months and then strain it. Gargle with a couple of teaspoons of the stuff and swallow. Your cold or flu will either not develop fully or will flee quickly (like friends and loved ones will when they smell your breath).

Sorry this won't do you much good now (unless you know someone else who already has some ready), but if you start the batch right now, you should be sickness-free for the rest of the winter.

3. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

here is a quick recipe. peel and chop a large piece of ginger, should have at least half a cup, crush two or three heads of garlic, no need to peel. cover with water, heat to simmering and let stand for ten minutes or so. toss in some peppermint. I find that if I leave out the peppermint it upsets my stomach. strain and sip. it is not too bad. you can add the juice of a lemon after straining. we call this the "magic potion"

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

well one of the mountains famous recipes fer what ails ya is a good shot of rye when ever you feel like a cold coming on! :rolleyes: lots of colds in my inlaws family!chickensoup, asa and some extra vitamins and ecinachiea (sp)works for us plus more rest (not easy, no rest for the wicked!) :baby04:

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Vitamin C and lots of it. If you normall take vit C, double it and take it every four hours. Otherwise, figure 2,000 mg, and wait an hour to see if it has an effect, if not, take another 2,000 mg. You may need to dose every four hours, or every six. Garlic wouldn't hurt either, take 'em if ya got 'em. I also dab a little ti tree essential oil behind and under each ear at the first sign of a painful ear, and redab two or three times a day. This usually keeps it from getting worse. If it's already to the point that you have an earache, you need bigger guns.

6. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i like zinc suppliments and vitamin c. ginger tea also helps me. my dad swore by ginger brandy.

7. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

My daughter just told me she knocks out a cold this way. I haven't tried it yet, but she swears it works great.

Chop up an onion, put it in a pan of water and heat to boiling. Breath the vapors. She said you can even drink the water when it cools.

She says it will open you up so you can breath normally in about 20 minutes.

Now for my ideas:

For coughing: mix honey & lemon juice. If you have a fever add a little whiskey. Drink it warm. (hot toddy)

Achy skin: try soaking in a bath with a cup or two of peroxide in it? If you aren't comfortable using peroxide, you could use epsom salts.

General bad feeling: take 10 drops of liquid B vitamins. Hold the liquid under your tongue for a full minute to let it get into your blood stream quickly.

That's everything I can think of right now. Will post again if I think of anything else.

Ear candles always clear out my ears when they get that way. Lots of people say they are fake, but they work for me. If you try them, please be careful to buy the good kind that are made from linen and beeswax, not the cheapo candle wax and paper ones.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

8. Pink_Carnation

Pink_Carnation Well-Known Member

Chewing sugar free gum can help keep your ears draining and prevent infection. Hot drinks for the stuffy nose. Don't try to bring a fever down unless it is dangerously high, the fever helps by slowing the virus down and speeding up your immune system. Unfortunately the fever also makes you feel achy all over.

9. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

I agree with the vitamin c...mega doses of it. Ds (1 1/2) just got over a nasty cold. It was in his chest so bad I was afraid it was bronchitis.....or worse. Of course its the weekend and urgent care is $$$. so I made him herbal tea, with mullein etract and vit c in it. within a few hours I could tell the difference. the thing with vit c is you have to take it to saturation......in other words it needs to put you in the bathroom.

10. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Sambucol (elderberry extract) is what you need. There has been tons of clinical studies on it now, and even the medical drs. are recommending it. It helps you get over the flu faster if you already have it. And it is highly recommended for children from what I see (I do not have small ones myself).

Here's a link elderberry extract, but you can put it into any search engine for more info.

katlupe

11. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

I second elderberry,

When I feel a cold or flu coming on, or am around a lot of sick people I start drinking elderberry tea.

If I have a stuff head I will eat either hot and sour soup (has peppers and ginger) or really spicey chilie soup(hot peppers). I think any spicey beverage will do the trick.

12. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

I also agree with the elderberry tea, it has great medicinal properties which medical science is finally begining to acknowledge, but our forefathers knew about centuries ago! Just a note to remember, when spring time rolls around and the elderberry is in full bloom, and the flowers are pure white; pick them and let them dry. After completely dry, rivel the dry flowers off the stems. Store in an airtight container ( a mason jar with the lid screwed down tight or anything similiar) in a dry dark place. When the sign of a cold rears it's ugly head, make a strong infusion of flowers and boiling water. My mom used to give this to me as a child, tasted like he$$, but in 3 daysI was almost as good as new! Also start eating RAW garlic, it is one of the greatest antibiotics known to man, not to mention numerous other benefits it provides for our body!

13. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

Elderberry syrup. It has ginger, honey, cloves, and elder flower in it.
    You drink it warm.

14. mayfair

mayfair a yard full of chickens

warm garlic/mullein eardrops (get mine at the food coop) in the ears help even if you don't have ear pain- I think they go towards the throat or something and help with the scratchy feeling.

15. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

If you want some alternative thoughts pm me.

16. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Jaegermeister-a fermented blend of several dozen herbs, spices, roots, and fruits. It orignated with German monks back in the 1600s and is still made today.

17. chicken

chicken Well-Known Member

DH and I take a crushed clove of raw garlic at the first sign of a cold. It usually knocks it down a notch by the next day. We continue taking a clove of garlic for a few days if we feel we need to. We usually take that garlic at night before going to bed so the garlic breath doesn't kill anybody we are around at work or socially. The next morning the garlic breath is not so noticable. At least that's what we think :)

18. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

For a bad chest cold I always take a shower as hot as I can stand with lots of steam then rub vicks all over my chest and throat.

Then mix up a hot toddy of boiling water, sugar, ginger and whisky.
    Drink 2 water glasses of that and wrap up in a sleeping bag and sweat it out.
    Works for me so well I look forward to winter colds. :D

19. Metagirrl

Metagirrl Well-Known Member

Plain Old Steam. Our family doc explained a few years ago, that with many viral infections (colds, and respiratory), you can kick it by just raising the temperature of your airways by a couple of degrees, by inhaling steam. I use a Conair Facial steamer that came with a narrow tube that you can press your mouth/nose to. 15 minutes of steam a couple of times, and it usually makes a huge difference in how I feel. Obviously, there are many ways to get the steam, but those facial steamers are relatively cheap, and they don't use much water.

20. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

A teaspoon of ginger mixed in a shot of warm moonshine. Hold nose, down it and wrap up in a blanket or quilt and do as Highground said, sweat it out. Good luck Tamsam