home remedies for a splinter?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Doc, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member Supporter

I just got a whopper of a splinter imbedded in my thumb (not the nail). Managed to get only the top of it out, so the rest is still in there -- pretty deep. Now, I am soaking it in epsom salts and warm water, but figured the folks on this forum would know of other remedies to get it to the surface fast!!

2. HeavenHelpMe

HeavenHelpMe Well-Known Member

Smear a thick layer of elmer's glue on it and let it dry.

Then peel. Normally, they come right out if you have a small edge sticking out.

Good luck. Splinters are annoying at best. :grump:

EDIT: Oh, you said it was deep. Use a mud poultice-mix it with some of the epsom's salt and leave it on.

3. pistolsmom

pistolsmom Well-Known Member

Wrap a piece of raw bacon around it.

4. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

well that doesn't sound very hygenic... LOL.

5. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

We use drawing salve, that we have for the horses.

katlupe

6. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I agree with the raw bacon,actually raw pork fat is what I've used. Tie it on before bed and in the morning,the splinter will pop right out. Another good remedy is salt and boiling water poured into a glass beer bottle(an old pop bottle will work,too). Pour the salt into the bottle(1/2 in. worth in the bottom of the bottle),then add the boiling water. Hold the mouth of the bottle over the splinter,tightly. It will cause a vaccum affect of sorts and you will feel the splinter pulling out. It hurts,I won't lie,but it will come out. Good luck :)

7. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

this lady i worked with told me of a tincture of "whiskey lillies". i am not sure of the variety, but you put the blossoms in a jar of whiskey. when needed, you bandage a petal on the splinter and it will draw it out. i wish i knew more about it.

8. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

I've always used a pin sterilized of course, and squeeze your thumb so the splinter starts to poke out a bit. You may have to dig at it a bit, then have another person with tweezers try to carefully pull the splinter out. One I had took me almost an hour to get out once. Hope this helps. Chris

9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't have any pork, but I have meat tenderizer. What is drawing salve?

10. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

take a razor and cut it out.

yes my mother told me not to.... but it works.

11. buspete

buspete Well-Known Member

Similar to the "salt and water in a bottle" that MoonShine suggested, if you heat the bottle by holding it, mouth down, over a candle to heat up the air inside, then quickly put it over the splinter, it will have the same vaccum effect. In colonial days they used special blown glass bell jars for doing this, they'd also use them for "cupping", which I won't go into here.

The old Yankee farmer I worked for as a kid used to burn a piece of newspaper in an old jelly jar and use it to draw a splinter or a boil. Same idea as the pop bottle, only the opening is too big to be sealed by your thumb.

12. Horselover

Horselover Joyce

Doc, I had a splinter in my thumb from sanding a blacksmith box and I could not get it out, nor could my husband nor the neighbor lady. So, it stayed in there all night. I went to work with it and was seriously afraid I was going to have to go down to the hospital and get it taken out, but lunchtime came and I got in my car and it was infected and I was able to push it out. I know this sounds gross, but it worked. A splinter is nothing to laugh at! Good luck! I hope you get it out soon! Joyce

13. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

It depends on what kind of splinter it is. I had a chunk of rotten wood from a 2x4 drive deep into the base of my thumb a few years back, and despite all the soaking and disinfecting and whatnot, it took a visit to the ER a good week afterwards to get all the little pieces dug out. The tip of it was resting against a nerve, but it wasn't just about pain, it was about the infection going where it really shouldn't have gone.

If yours is a neat, solid splinter, you should be able let it work itself out while keeping it very clean... if it's anything BUT a neat solid splinter, you're probably better off seeing a doctor about it, especially since it's so deep. A wandering bone infection, blood poisoning, infection of a nerve, you really don't want to risk any of that over a little chunk of wood.

Btw, I've always wondered if I'm the only idiot with a 1-inch scar to show for her "toughness", or if there's a club for people like me.

14. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I find that drawing salve, or black salve, smells just like bacon. Must have something to do with the salt, I dunno :shrug: .

So, here's another gross suggestion, but it's what I do. I take a pair of nail clippers and clip away the hunk of flesh that the splinter is in. Told you it was gross. Yep, just clip out the entire hunk of flesh that the splinter is in. Pour on some peroxide, and wash a lot of dishes over the next day or two (keeps it clean).

15. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I am told that you an put a cooked onion or a slice of raw bacon on it and it will draw it to the surface.

Never had the need to try this, but if I would if I were in your shoes.

donsgal

16. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Yep a utility knife or exact-o knife works best for me to.Far less pain than digging around with a needle.

Momma says to atleast use new blade and not an old rusty one. :D

17. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Soak in hot water and soap slivers.

18. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Numb and Insanity are right. Razor blades and x-acto knives. Brand new and sterilized. Actual medical type instruments are great if you can get your grubby paws on 'em. They're scary sharp. Testors use to make an inexpensive plastic handled model knife that had a blade about an inch or so long and was just hideously sharp. Way sharper than an x-acto blade or even a razor blade. It also came to an extremely fine needle point. It was just the ticket for lancing boils and the like. A quick jab into the hilt and a quick swish back and forth to open things up and you could clean out one of those deep cysts, boils or infections or whatver quickly and (reletively) painlessly and save yourself a trip to the doctor. Just have towels and some dressings ready. Don't know if they make those little black handled knives any more or not. Wal-Mart should sell them by the models and stuff. Should work fine for digging out a splinter

19. kars1995

kars1995 Well-Known Member

Soak it in Epson salts. It helps to draw it out also.

20. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

actually, if you have a NEW large gauge syringe needle, or a small one of its a tiny splinter, the tip of the needle is like atiny razor, and by inserting it a tiny bit and pulling sideways, you can take several clean 'nicks" into the flesh till you expose the splinter.

this is my methond of choice but I dont always have a new needle on hand.