Home Nursery(plants)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by devittjl, May 24, 2005.

1. devittjl

devittjl Well-Known Member

Do any one have a home based small nursery?

I am think of starting a home based business by propagating plants and selling in 1-5 gallon pots. Thinking of mostly ornamental shrubs and grasses. No annuals.

Anyone one else doing this?

2. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

John, I work for a wholesale nursery, and I also have almost 3,000 square feet of greenhouse and a small business at home. My home business came about by observing a certain part of our production at work that was going unfilled, and I got permission to do it at home. Some of my production goes out through my employer, and some goes to wholesale contacts I developed on my own. My start-up was eased a great deal by my 10-year experience and established knowledge of how and why to do what I'm doing, and a guaranteed market.

MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE: You need to know that you can't just start propagating plants and merrily selling them, especially in California, Oregon and Washington now that we have the Sudden Oak Death crisis. You need to be licensed and inspected by the state Department of Agriculture as a nursery.

If you've done your research, have your sources for materials lined up, have a solid production plan and a workable marketing plan (farmers markets are a Great place to start getting your product out to the public), then it can be a fair income. Just be aware of how darn much time it takes to keep up with all the cuttings, potting, watering, weeding, weeding, weeding......and that because nursery stock in the PNW is very very competitive, there aren't huge price mark-ups to be had unless you're well-known for quality and rarity/choiceness of your selection.

Best of luck to you!
    Susan

3. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

John -

You have a PM

4. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Susan,, sounds like you work for Means Nursery!

I just love that place. <VBG>

5. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

As Susan points out in the Pacific Northwest, and in any other market really a person needs to develope a speacialty that aside from what the normal full scale nurseries are growing, they feel that the pareticular product you choose is to small of profit margin for their space to dedicate to it.

Visit a couple of large nursery locations and make mental notes, ask a few questions of the owners and be upfront with them, they may just come right out and suggest to you the product they could use but wont dedicate space for.....

very small profit margin in garden plants cause so many people and nurserys grow them, Mike McGroarty shows people how to do things on a small scale and profit by it. Finding the niche market is the hardest part of the business, but once you do, you can make your presence known in a big way.

William