Home made soda pop for susie M

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jnap31, Jun 21, 2006.

1. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Awhile ago she asked me to get my neighbors delicious recipie and it just came in the mail figured the rest of you may also be interested.
    He uses a natual flavoring he gets that they sell in lhemans and other places cant remember the brand name my favorite is cream soda.
    For a 1 gallon batch
    2 cups local honey, more or less depending on how sweet you like soda

1 half gallon very hot water.Add water into honey, stir to dissolve honey.

add flavor extract at this time, 1 tablespoon, again more if you like stronger or less if you like weaker. Or you can add no extract flavor and the honey will provide the flavor of its own.

Add 1/8 teaspoon dry champagne yeast, let yeast float on top for awhile. When it absorbs enough moisture it will fall to the bottom. Once that happens stir well,fill with water to the gallon level mark and stir again.

Pour into 2 liter plastic soda or water bottles with the screw on caps. You should put 1/2 gallon into each bottle. Store at room temperature 2-3 days when the bottles start to firm up and feel like there is pressure in them refrigerate for 3 more days.It will then be ready to drink with natural carbonation. The extract and champagne yeast are available at a home brewery store;or you can find them on the internet.

Now my neighbor bottles his in recycled beer bottles from the recycleing center he found the green ones with wide lips/flanges? around the rim seal better he has a bottle capper like you can order out of lhemans catalog.Hope yor happy Susie M and some of you other folks can use this also.It makes some great carbonated all natural soda.

2. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Thanks, that sounds like a nice treat with out being grossed out (thinking rootbeer for floats). Reese

3. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

that is really cool! I didnt know it could be made at home

4. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Thanks, sweetie...I'll let you know how it turns out.

5. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

I never knew you could make your own soda! SusieM, please let us know how it turns out. Thanks Jnap, you have some of the neatest tips!

6. moongirl

moongirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recipe! Reading a book right now on making your own.

7. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Thanks,Jnap! If I can find some extract locally,I'll try that out soon :)

8. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

does this stuff have a "kick"?

9. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I am really glad ya'll could use it, I cant wait to get home and try it myself honestly it is the best soda pop ever. He has been making it for years and has all the kinks worked out I guess, The local honey he uses adds the most delicate sutle flavors. There is no Kick (LOL) When I told my army buddies about it they said I was drinking beer, if it has any alcohol it is less than 1%. The natural carbonation is really cool I think, I like it best really cold with ice. Make a lot it does not last long, also I think it will be hard to keep the carbonation in a 2 liter bottle once you opened it unless you sealed it up really good perhaps and used it up quickly. All his is bottled in recycled beer bottles that is how I am planning on making it. Make sure to search for this thread and bring it back to let us know how yours turns out, I imagine it is a bit of a fin art though sounds easier than making wine.