home made soap

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dscott7972, Mar 21, 2005.

1. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

With lye goat milk soap do I have to let it cure for four weeks? Will it hurt if I use it sooner, the recipe says to let it cure for four weeks; why? Is this just so it looks solid or are their other reasons?

2. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

You'll probably burn yourself with the lye if you don't wait for it to cure.

3. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

If you hot process the soap, it doesn't take nearly as long. In fact, hot process soap is almost ready when you put it in the molds.

4. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

i make no cook soap and i've used it the day after i poured it up w/no burning...the soponification neutralized the lye. depends on the recipe, i'd guess. it does last longer if it has time to set up and harden.

5. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

The cure time for soap is for 2 reasons. #1 it allows the saponifacation process to complete so that there is no lye left in the soap. (providing you had the correct lye to fat ratio to begin with) and #2 to allow the water to evaporate and the bar of soap to harden.

I use a hot process to saponify in 24 hours which leaves me with a bar of soap that I can use, but it dissolves rather quickly because of the very short cure time. I really prefer to let the soap cure 4-6 weeks before I use it, it makes for a MUCH better bar of soap

This is the hot process that I use: after the soap traces I pour it into the molds, which is on a cookie sheet. I cover the top with parchment paper,add another cookie sheet, place it on a heating pad that I have turned up to "high" and then cover the whole shebang with a comforter. My heating pad automatically goes off in 90 min and I have found that this is time enough to saponify. I leave it covered 24 hours, uncover, cut and remove from molds. I use a standing shoe rack to cure completely.

I pour off into "Martha Molds" which are the large drawer dividers that martha stewart sells for large cutlery. They work great and make nice bars of soap.

6. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

Thanks to each of you who responded!

"Had God meant for man to milk cows he would have given us four hands, He didn't, therefore I milk goats"

7. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

As long as the soap is well made there is little lye left when you pour it into the mold. Think about the next day when you handle the soap while cutting it into bars. It shouldn't be burning your skin then. If it needs to set longer than the saponification process it has too muh lye. If I need a bar when I slice it i I use one then and leave the left to dry.

8. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Should be NO lye left by the time you pour it into your mold :) depending on your process (CP v HP v OPCP etc) your discount (water: lye ratio) and oils used, your soap could be ready sooner or later than 4 weeks.
    Let your tongue tell you when it's ready :haha: If it zaps, it's not ready :haha:

9. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

visit this site:

You can "finish" your CP soap in the oven to hurry it along...

http://www.soapdishforum.com/forum/index.php?&&CODE=00

LARGE site, pix, etc. Have fun! Again, it's a large site. And I've not finished my soap in the oven. But do a search for oven and see what you get...