home made fuels???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by chris 77, May 30, 2004.

1. chris 77

chris 77 Member

does anybody have any new ideas or info on any kind of fuel that can be made at home? i,ve been reading everything i can get my hands on about;methane, hyrogen, alcohol, bio-diesel. just wondering if anybody has found the winning combo yet and actually using it.

2. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

There is Moonshine Fuel!:haha: Just be sure you got the license, or your sheriff maybe looking for a Illegal Still!

Also I've seen "mini" oil refineries that you can produce your own gas/diesel, however you need to have a good source of oil.

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a table top version of a oil refinery to distill motor fuel but the cost is prohibitive to buy. and using this unit you use old motor/transmission oil to refine motor fuel.last i read the price was $12,000.00 to purchase and the amount of used oil to run it would be beyond a normal persons ability to obtain.

4. teamjnz

teamjnz Member

Check out this http://www.greasel.com/. If you have a diesel burning vehicle this is a very interesting. I really would like to do this but I don't have the right vehicle.

teamjnz

5. SG

SG Member

6. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

In the 1970s and 1980s there was a compressed air vehicle putting around the 3-I Show in Kansas. I suppose it was similar to a steam engine, but instead of a continual flow of fuel, i.e. air, it used a large flywheel and you could hear a burst of the engine every 5-10 seconds or so. Kind of like the principal of an old John Deere tractor with the putt putt sound.

A large fanned windmill could compress the air, and if you got stuck in town you could always resupply yourself from a tire unit at a convenience store. Also one of those small 12 volt units could be powered by a solar panel right on the vehicle to power it.

7. VonWolfen

VonWolfen Well-Known Member

Check out the "path to freedom" website...great people who are walking the walk.