Home made feed mixer - anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by farmmom, Sep 8, 2009.

1. farmmom

farmmom Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out how to build a home made feed mixer. I'm currently mixing my feed a small bucket full at a time and pouring into barrels. I'm wondering if there is a way to turn one of my 55 gallon barrels or possibly a smaller barrel, into a feed mixer, without spending a fortune on it. Any advice, pics, diagrams, etc. would be appreciated.

2. oneokie

oneokie Well-Known Member

Have a cement mixer?

Build a frame at a comfortable height, (high enough to get a wheel barrow or tub under the end of the barrel, get 4 caster wheels and mount to the top of the frame, spaced so that the barrel is supported high enough to not rub on the frame. Also space the casters so that they are on the outer sides of the reinforcing rings of the barrel. Use a barrel with a clamp on lid. Place 3 or 4 2x4's lengthwise in the barrel, attaching with screws or bolts. These will act as paddles to help mix the feed as the barrel is rotated.

3. farmmom

farmmom Well-Known Member

I don't have a cement mixer.

This sounds fairly simple. I probably could rig it to hook to a motor with a belt like my grist mill runs on. Or, I could just stop being lazy and turn it by hand, huh.

4. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I use a cement mixer I purchased for feed mixing only.

5. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I use a cement mixer, but if I didn't have one, I'd put some boards in a barrel, add a "handle" to the barrel so I could pull it behind the rider mower. It wouldn't be too hard to fix up some kind of ramp to roll it up to pour the feed into a stationary barrel for storage.

As a petite female, I'd be looking for the easiest method possible.

6. Batt

Batt In Remembrance Supporter

I have/use a cement mixer whenever I'm not using it to set fence posts (Wash it out real good). Craigs list and freecycle are your friends. A cheapie electric works just fine unless you have a big herd.

7. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

Do yoou dump the feed into the cement mixer to mix it up and then pour out into another container? I bought an old, and I do mean old, mixer to have on hand til I needed to mix cement...now it may have another job!

8. oneokie

oneokie Well-Known Member

Yes, and Yes.

9. MOgal

MOgal Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a friend in Arkansas who has one of these Tumble Drum feed mixers. It didn't look too complicated to make except for getting the angle on the axle correct. Hers was the smallest the company offered and was mounted on its own stand. I don't remember the price. Here's the website to give you some ideas. http://www.miraclemixer.com/default.asp

10. mduncn52

mduncn52 Well-Known Member

I used a bulb auger chucked into my drill motor to mix feed for my ducks. But that may be too small for your job.

11. francismilker

francismilker Udderly Happy! Supporter

If you have a limb chipper/shredder they will work fine as long as it doesn't matter that your feed gets ground slightly. I usually have someone help me and we pour all ingredients simultaneously into the hopper and have the discharge port headed into a 55 gallon drum. It mixes the feed together real well and actually cuts it a little too. Works great with whole grains like corn, wheat, and milo.