Home made fabric softener

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by gmm41, Jun 19, 2004.

1. gmm41

gmm41 Member

Does any one know how to make home made fabric softener???????????

2. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Well, I don't know if it's considered a fabric softener, but I pour about 1/2 to a full cup of white vinegar into the rinse water. This helps cut the soap film that's left on your clothes. I always thought that it was the remaining soap film that got stiff when dried.

It cleans the pipes of your washer too.

3. FLYbaby

FLYbaby Active Member

I just use 1/2 cup of white vinegar added to the rinse water. It removes any traces of soap/detergent which causes the stiffness.

4. Mommalee

Mommalee Well-Known Member

Yup. Vineger. Gets rid of smells like urine too, if you've got animals or kids.

5. gmm41

gmm41 Member

Great! Thanks everyone. Now we'd like to know if there is anything we can add to make it smell good - like downy but without paying an arm and a leg to do so?

6. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I react to synthetic fragrances and prefer a clean smell that doesn't smell like anything except clean and fresh line dried clothes, or doesn't have any smell. Clean doesn't smell.

Synthetic imitations of flower-dy smells makes my nose run and my throat and lungs hurt. I too use vinegar to remove all soap and leave my clothes soft. If you're sensitive to fragrances fabric softeners may not be the way you want to add fragrance. This information is from a google search using the search words "fabric softener hazards", I hope it helps you in your decision.
    [ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=fabric+softener+hazards[/ame]

In my situation my best suggestion would be possibly add a drop or two of any "natural", not synthetic, essential oil of your chosing to the rinse water. It might give an aromatic smell to your laundry. I really don't know, but it might be worth trying.

Fla Gal

7. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

As above. ½ cup of cheapest artificial white vinegar in rinse. Line dry. Vinegar smell airs out - doesn't smell like vinegar when you wear it or use it. If you want to add fragrance, use ½ teaspoonful of eucalyptus oil in rinse, or a small amount of some scented bulk cheap disinfectant (pine, eucalyptus, lavender, whatever).

8. Depending on my mood, I use any fragrant essential oil, like orange, jasmine, lavender ect. in with my vinegar, lightly scents the laundry.

9. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

You can make herb infused vinegar. You're supposed to stuff the herbs in the vinegar jar, shake once a day for a few weeks, and then strain the vinegar.

10. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I like to use a sheet of aluminum foil, I use till it starts falling apart.

Vinegar IMO is useless for static control.

Mrs Whodunit

11. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I use the vinegar too, fill up one of those Downey fabric softener balls with it and throw it in the washer with the clothes.

As for static electricity, I use a ball of aluminum foil. Just wad it up and throw it in the dryer. I don't use my dryer during the summer, but the foil sure works great during the winter.

12. Amy Jo

Amy Jo Well-Known Member

I never heard of the aluminum foil ball.. You people are just too cool!

13. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Amy, I can't take the credit for the foil ball, I got the idea from Melissa. I use her home made spot remover too! :)
    Equal parts
    water
    Whisk
    white vinegar
    amonia

I keep it in a spray bottle.
    Sure works for me! :)

14. torade

torade Well-Known Member

You could always make some old fashioned sweet water.
    Some recipies are very involved and use decoctions of aromatic leaves and flowers like rosemary,lemon verbena, sweet myrtle, bergamot, sweet marjoram, angelica, bay, alecost and eau-de-colgne mint or powdered root of roseroot,flowers- lavender,violets,and roses.
    Any combination of these are usually simmered in a covered pan, strained well and then used in the final rinse or sprinkeled/sprayed on cloths later.
    Or you could use drops of essential oil dissolved in a little pure alcohol (or vodka).

15. What I do is mix 1/3 of a bottle of cheap hair conditioner in a 1 gallon bottle with water. Just shake and use in downy ball/rinse cycle. Super cheap, works great and choice of scent.

16. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

Great tips, everyone. I'm a little dense sometimes (or should I say "sparse"), but never really thought about using vinegar! I'll start tomorrow ... wash day!

Peace and smiles,
    doohap

17. gmm41

gmm41 Member

You guys are great. We tried the vinegar and will try the foil when static electricity becomes an issue. I think I'll try the cheap conditioner thing too. Suave makes a nice smelling vanilla.
    Gloria