Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wasza polska matka
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sweet dh made me a dog bone cookie cutter from a tuna can. Id really like to try to make some home made biscuits for our puppy (lab/mastiff mix) and beagle (senior citizen)..
If they are good, I have a family member with some furbabies that might appreciate some
please post if you have anything to share

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I haven't made dog bisquis in forever. When I did, I used to take a can or mackeral, put it in my kitchenaid mixer, add a few raw eggs, mix it up then I added ww flour till it was a dough consistency, rolled it out and cut out the bone shapes. I also made rounds (out of bisquit cutter), dinosaurs (regular cookie cutter), or when I was in a hurry, I just rolled it out and cut it in squares and use them, insted of cutting out shapes.
I am not much of a recipe person, so I hope this makes since.

I have heard that you can also use brown rice flour, or white flour, but I usually only have ww.

Belinda

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you make them yourself, I would try rice flour instead of anything wheat or corn.

My family has owned several dogs and we've found out that corn and wheat don't do so well if it's in their diet a lot. We've had to take one dog completely off dog kibble because of an eczema-like skin issue. We feel it was the corn in it, but don't want to torture the old dog with experimenting.

Plus they have a white pit bull who is sensitve to anything you feed him. He ate one shrimp tail out of the garbage and was sick for two days puking and incontinence in the home. He ran a mild fever and dropped a lot of weight. The other two dogs didn't have any issues.

But Mrs Stuart suggest something that would sound quite yummy to feed your pups. That is, if they deserve it. ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have the "Three Dog Bakery" cookbook.
This one is called the Hanukkah Noshers
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups water
4 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup quick cook oats
1/4 cup chopped peanuts

Preheat oven to 350. In a large mixing bowl, combine applesauce, egg, peanut butter, vanilla and water. In a second bowl, combine flour,cornmeal, oates, and peanuts. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix well. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until thoroughly mixed together. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thick and cut out shapes. grease baking sheet and bake for 45 min. cool on a rack before serving.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Simple Simon's birthday boones

2 cups whole-wheat flour
1tablespoon baking powder
1 cup natural peanut butter
1 cup skim milk

preheat oven 375
combine everything. Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface and knead. roll our to a 1/4 inch thinkk and cut out shapes
bake for 20 min. or until lightly brown. cool and serve

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I've been thinking of making up something with flaxseed to help with skin itching. Would I be able to bake with flaxseed in it, or would making a drop type cookie be a better way to go?

I really like the mackerel idea- think I could do that with the egg and flaxseed. Thanks for the great ideas!

Twila

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I have dogs with itchy allergies (non wheat) and I make their cookies...
Be forewarned, this is a very large batch (4 dogs in the house now)

1 cup flax meal
1/2 c wheat germ
1/2 c cod liver oil (liquid) for omega 3's
a couple squirts of liquid b complex and vitamin e oil
1 tablespoon fresh garlic (my dogs aren't big on it)
2 1/2 c peanut butter
1 c oatmeal
4 eggs
4 tsp baking powder
2 Tbs molasses
6+ c ww flour

mix all liquid in mixer (use the dough hook, this gets stiff)
then add all dry ingredients, adding flour last
mix in flour
roll to 1/4" thick
bake at 350 for 20 minutes if you want really hard biscuits, you could bake them longer, but my dogs prefer them a little softer.

I store mine in gallon ziploc bags. This is enough for two bags. One goes in freezer and the other stays in the fridge. If you don't keep it in the fridge, it will get moldy.

The only annoying thing with this recipe is that the dogs are always underfoot when you open the fridge. lol

Cats, chickens, mice, rats, and rabbits also really like these. I make them 2x month.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts