home made dehumidifier

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by debitaber, Jun 3, 2005.

1. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

Got to have a couple, I have asthma, got to get the moisture out of the house. does anyone know how to make one. pm me with the plans if you have one , on how to, I can't find plans anywhere.
    thanks debi

2. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

I take it you do not have central air. It may be pricey but with the right combination of equipment it will give clean air @ the humidity level you want.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Buy a small window AC and have some cooling along with the dehumidification. Get an AC so small it will run continuously and you will have the same as a dehumidifier and it will be cheaper to purchase than a dehumidifier.

4. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

Well, you can move here to New Mexico and you won't need a dehumidifier. You'll eventually starve to death though. Guess one thing or another will get us all!

Bob

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

wouldnt that be a little pricey with the electric bill allways running

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Running continously of the small AC would be no different than running a dehumidfier in an open house with high humidity. You could cycle the small AC if necessary but to get the benefits of dehumidifying it needs to run.

7. Runners

Runners A real Quack!

"....I have asthma, got to get the moisture out of the house..."

In other words, you DON'T want conventional Air Conditioning, but real dehumidification - just moisture removal, with no appreciable change in temperature? (my elderly mother needs it dry, but can't handle AC) If that's the case...

A regular dehumidfier is still the best choice. The air is drawn over a cold evaporator coil, the moisture condenses on the coil and runs into a tank, down a drain, etc. - BUT, unlike an Air Conditioner, the air (now much cooler), continues over the hot condenser coil and is reheated. The reheated air is able to absorb roughly the same amount of humidity it just gave up in the process. The more air the unit can move across a room, the greater the effect of dehumidification.

An Air Conditioner is less efficient (as a dehumidifier), because it doesn't provide "reheat". Instead, the reheat is 'gained' through the windows, doors and anywhere it can pick up heat from the outside.

The one time I tried an AC for this, I caulked up a water dam between the evaporator and the back of the unit - then drilled a 1/4 hole to drain the water into a bucket (it sat on the same bucket.) Yea it worked, the house stayed warm and dry, instead of cool and dry. It was warm enough there wasn't thermal gain, just nice and dry. It takes awhile to dry things out, and just taking a shower with the door open can bump the humidity right back up.

Another method, using just heat involves a dessicant wheel, heat source, and a couple of fans. One fan passes air over the dry half, regenerated portion of the wheel and into your living space. The dessicant absorbs the moisture out of the air. (dessicant packets are commonly shipped in pill bottles to large packets with sensitive electronic equipment - we're talking LOTS of it to make this work!) On the other side, heated air is passing through the wheel, and the dessicant is giving up it's moisture @ 140f. The wheel turns slowly...

2story is right, the equipment is out there, has been for years, it's more expensive with each add on (dehumidification + air cleaner + outside air exchange unit + tie it into your existing furnace = big $$$ and maintenance!)