Home Haircutting

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by whodunit, May 16, 2004.

1. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

We found a great way to save money for our growing family (of 5 as of this mid-October). We use a device called the Robocut. There is another one called Flowbee. Both are rotary-type blades that attach to your vacuum. It sounds crazy, and it's not perfect, but it works. The cost was around $65, or so, but since I get my hair cut every 1 1/2, at $10, a pop, it will pay for itself in 9 months. It pays even faster since I would get my hair cut every month except for the cost. My wife also uses it to trim her hair and our daughters' hair.

Anyone else out there use one of these devices?

2. EricG

EricG Well-Known Member

Plain old clippers here, with the diferent length attachments. #2 for the boys. #4 for dad. Barbers are $15 plus tip up here so the savings add up fast.

Eric

3. Bailey

Bailey Well-Known Member

Plain old clippers and scissors here as well. I have had times when I had them get their hair done at the shop because life was so chaotic and I wasn't feeling well enough to clip. I hate to see that money go like that.

4. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Plain ole clippers here also. Started with $20 brand new Wahl clippers made in usa many years ago. Lasted close to 20 years. Then got $5 Chinese clippers which didnt last at all. Then this past fall, winter, whatever it was, got a professional Andis Master clipper off ebay for $10. All metal, made in '30s, best deal of all as its sharp and cuts good and if it can survive from early 1930's then got to be pretty good design. Think reason it went so cheap was it had a dent that looked horrible in pics, but didnt amount to anything up close in person.

5. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

$18 wahl home clipper set from walmart here. It comes with 14 varied length comb attachments for the clippers and shears and comb. My exwife cut my hair for 5 years and provided me with the " military gentleman cut with taper '. After the divorce, I bought a replacement clipper set to replace the one that she took and began cutting it myself in a low maintenance tapered military buzz cut. So far that $18 investment has saved me $304 (I keep a tally sheet in the clipper case :) ) and the girls at the cafe think my hair looks fuller and more appealing in the style Im cutting it now.

I just wish I could get away charging admission to the neighbors who watch me sitting out in my yard with a mirror hanging from a tree and clippers and "rearview mirror" in hand every 3 weeks :)

6. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

It looks like you have to concentrate really hard to use it...
    [​IMG] "Stop the photo shoot-I think she just sucked her brains out..."
    :haha: Couldn't resist putting that picture up.

7. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

10 minutes every two weeks with electric clippers and 1/2 inch guard, I love it, wish I had known about this a lot earlier in my life, just could never get a barber to cut my hair like I wanted it, same length all over. I can now even do a decent job on the back with the razor and don't forget to trim around the ears with sizzors. I haven't kept up with the savings but its a lot, 26 haircuts a year for 10 years, 260 X 10.00= $2600.00.

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I've cut my son's hair most of his life. With children it helps if you start young when mistakes are not such a big deal. I once inadvertently started cutting without the blade attachment and called it a "tiger claw." He was thrilled to show off in kindergarten. We've had only two clippers, both under $20 for the past 13 years. Saved enough to afford my daughter's cuts at the salon :rolleyes:

9. Bailey

Bailey Well-Known Member

I did that once to my son when he was thirteen years old Tango. My eleven year old came in and asked me a question while I was in the process of removing the clipper guard and before I remembered I hadn't put it back on....swipe...unfortunately I was slow to react and got quite the bald trail. Needless to say, he insisted I just take it all off that time. He was sure glad he was a homeschooled kid for several weeks.

10. us girls, but for now I just use clippers on the boys and dad (military high and tight) and for daughter just a basic bob (my hair is long and I flip it over and trim the ends). My husbands hair grows reallyfast and needs cutting every 2 weeks and my oldest son needs his done every month, lots of savings doing it myself.

11. eb

eb Well-Known Member

I use the regular walmart clippers...poor quality but they do the job...as a matter of fact I cut my hair today (yep, thats right, not only do I do it at home, I do it myself!). Helps that I just sport a buzz-cut, the shorter the better...

12. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

I cut my fiance's hair about once a month, give or take. It's about $15 out here plus tip for a haircut at a chain store, or about $6 at the beauty college. My hair is way to long to cut with clippers, so I go in every few months and have it done at the beauty college. We've gone through two sets of clippers in two years, but for $20 a pop they've more than paid for themselves.

13. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

For someone looking for a career with an almost guaranteed constant clientel, being a professional barber would seem to fit the bill. Styles come and go, but the typical barber (not hair stylist) seems to do a steady business. It is, of course, a business which keeps you on your feet most of the day.

My recommendation would be for a kid to join one of the military services (e.g., Navy) which still has shipboard barbers. Let the military train you and get paid fairly well at the same time.

Ken S. in WC TN

14. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

I have two boys and have cut their hair since they were born with the good ole clippers and scissors. The 14 year old has just now decided that he wants a more 'sylish' cut so I agreed to start taking him to the barber but the 18 year old is still happy with the mom cut. I've saved thousands of dollars over the years. Theresa.

15. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I do a combination clipper, scissor cut on my guys. My hair is long, so I trim my own bangs as needed, and get the back trimmed once a year when haircuts go on sale for $4.99 at Great Clips. It about kills me to pay someone to cut a straight line around the back of my head!

16. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

This is mrs whodunit.

If you have ever seen a hair cut I did with regular scissirs or clippers you why see why I use the Robocut.

Poor dogs run and hide till their hair grows out, had to take dd to a hairdresser to get her hair redone after I tried to "even up" the ends.

I am scissor/clipper impaired :haha:

17. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Save money on haircuts? I'm the only one that has gotten a haircut in my family in the last couple of years. I get 1-2 haircuts a year, and my wife does them. Might not get any this year as my son's hair is longer than mine and I don't want him having bragging rights.

18. MamaWolfInWV

MamaWolfInWV Well-Known Member

DH has cut his and ds' hair for two years with a pair of plain old clippers we found at Harbor Freight Tools for $7. It has more than paid for itself and dh does a better job than the barbers around here. Now, if he could just learn how to highlight my hair we would be set :haha:

19. Nina

Nina Well-Known Member

Doesn't anyone use a scissor and comb to do it? I've been doing hubby and son for ever and my own, too, but won't touch my DD!!! I guess I was lucky that the guys in school would beg me to do their hair since they'd spent their money on other things. They got a free cut, and I got practice on straight and curly hair.
    It takes rather a while, though, so it's helpful if there is something entertaining for one's victim :rolleyes: to watch on TV. Last night's "Gunfight at OK Corral" was just the ticket!

20. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

dh's, all 4 daughters, and my son's. The girls have straight blunt cuts and dh and ds I use the clippers on. mine I trim every so often and usually maybe once a year get it evened up at the salon.