Homesteading Forum banner

Home grown!

1K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  lexierowsell 
#1 ·
Just wound up my first ball of homegrown, sheared and spun!

It's thick n thin, has vm, is over spun like mad...

Thread Rope Wool Twine Headgear

But it's mine!!

See less See more
#7 ·
Plying it back onto itself might help. It looks like it is wound into a center pull ball. You can take the outside end and the end from the center pull ball and ply them together. It should help to balance it.

As to what to make, I made small, crocheted Christmas ornaments with my first handspun. They were wonderfully rustic!

#9 ·
Bbc- I had originally planned to ply this, then it got super thick and thin. So I thought I'd try learning navajo plying with it... The over twist made me quit on that.

Love the idea of ornaments. Was thinking maybe I'd do pot holders or something utilitarian, maybe hot plates? Thought about making thermal koozies, haha, as I wound that ball my beer was sweating onto the hardwood table ;-)

FR- you have vision my friend ;-)! Now, how the heck do I knit mittens?!

#12 ·
What a lovely ball of yarn! Love the colors.

If it's over spun, just run it back through the spinning wheel. Spin it in the other direction to take out some of the twist. It goes really quick when you're just removing a bit of twist so you get to treadle like a mad thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.