Home Grown Popcorn??????

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ScorpionFlower, Jun 20, 2006.

1. ScorpionFlower

ScorpionFlower Insanity prevails

This year is our first year with a garden at our new house. I wasn't sure what would grow well. Now I see that CORN is doing very well. My son asked me this morning if we'll be able to have popcorn from the corn plants. We use an air popper, so I can see where he may think the possibility. I'm not even sure if popcorn comes from the yellow/white corn we're growing. But since we have so much of it doing so well, I thought I'd try to find out. I can't find the info I'm looking for on the net, so I was hoping someone here may know where popcorn comes from, and if it DOES come from yellow/white corn, when do you harvest, etc?????

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

We grew some popcorn while I was growing up. It was a specific type, though, seeds bought as popcorn.

3. ScorpionFlower

Ok.... thanks for the info. Now I wonder where I can find info on whether it will grow in my areaand if it will, where to get seeds from. I've never seen popcorn seeds in my catalogs.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Almost every seed company sells popcorn, And some of the larger garden centers will have it too.

5. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Burpee has a website and you can try and search for Gurney's. If you can grow crop corn in your area then you can grow popcorn, it's long season compared to sweet corn. It comes in white, yellow and even mini ears the color of indian corn. You pop it just as you would bagged popcorn from the store. Some people put the whole ear(sands husk) in a paper lunch bag and mirowave it, kids have fun with that.

The mini ears - I may be thinking of the strawberry shaped variety.

6. ScorpionFlower

Ok, so you don't put the kernals in the air popper???? Sounds easy. I did finally find a place online that sells the popcorn seeds. Doesn't give info as to when the planting season is. We're coming into our heat season here in the so cal desert. We've already had a couple days that were 102. Not sure if baby plants will survive. I just planted some the other day and I'm crossing my fingers on those even.

7. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I got some Black Dakota Popcorn from Fedco this year--first time trying this variety. It is the best looking corn plants so far (I have two other sweet corns and a field corn variety). I grew the strawberry type a few years ago, but the racoons found it, so I didn't get to try it:( The plants are smaller with the strawberry popcorn.

8. MountainRonda

MountainRonda Active Member

A few years back I grew popcorn to give for Christmas presents. I ordered it from Burpee's and planted it just like any other corn, only in a separate place. To dry it I pulled the husks back and carefully laid it out in a shady spot. It turned out to be a successful, inexpensive, fun gift.

9. djb473

djb473 Well-Known Member

i bought strawberry popcorn from hierloom seeds

10. peacebaker

peacebaker Well-Known Member

We try and grow popcorn every year (not doing too well this year). I let it get fairly dry on the stalks, and then pick and let it finish drying before removing the kernals.

It tastes great! I was really surprised that popcorn is definitely one of those crops that tastes a whole lot better when you grow your own!

Oh and you can also pop the small varieties grown for ornamental purposes--last year I popped those little strawberry ears--so you can use them for fall decorations and then eat them (my kind of multitasking!)

11. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

If you grow popcorn and another kind of corn, you should grow them as far apart as possible, or select varieties that won't tassel out at the same time (one early and one late). If popcorn crosses with another corn, it might not pop as well as it should, as the seeds (the popcorn kernels) will be affected by the cross pollination. It also makes a difference if it is dried properly, as to how well it pops.

12. ScorpionFlower

Thank you all for your info!!! I did find popcorn in one of my catalogs, but they had them listed as fall decoration corn! LOL No wonder I never noticed it before. I'm not a big decorator so I just overlooked them. When I actually read the descriptions they said something about popcorn. Duhh