Home Gas Tank And Pump

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Quint, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Does anyone get bulk fuel delivered to their farm or homestead anymore?

Back when I was a kid we had a tank for diesel and a tank for regular unleaded. You called when the tank was empty and the truck came right to the farm and filled you up. I believe it was substantially cheaper when you bought it in bulk. That was my memory anyway. Is that still the case? Does anyone buy in bulk anymore?

2. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Bulk fuel cost will vary by state, so will laws for home tanks. Make sure you know your state and the federal laws. EPA cleanup cost can be high.
    Year ago you could get gas delivered to the farm cheaper but it was because there was no tax included in the gas. Offroad gas doesnt pay road taxes. The problem is not all that gas went for offroad use. Now many state require you to pay the road tax and then fill out a form at tax time to collect the taxes back.

If you do have a tank, make sure its away from a well, make sure it has a ground rod and make sure you can contain the spill it would leak out.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

We get bulk delivery, as do all the neighbors who farm.

It really is no cheaper any more, cost of them delivering it negates the bulk sales thing..... It is hard to get drivers any more, they need to have security clearances, etc these days.

Most places charge a fee if you _need_ fuel the same day, they try to set up a route to you now adays of several deliveries in your direction, so best to give a 48 hour lead time.

In my state underground tanks are a horrid thing, you need to spend a lot of money removing them to EPA standards if not used, and they should be monitored & much red tape if being used.... Soon the same regulations will apply to above surface tanks. Cleanup costs of spills, even 15 gallons or so, can run $10,000 to EPA standards. So if you don't have a fuel tank yet, put one in with a containment tank under it. Can save you a lot of headaches in just a few years.... These EPA rules are nation-wide, tho different states enforce them to different degrees. Just a heads up.

--->Paul

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

In Indiana, you pay the road tax when it is delivered. If it's used on the farm you can apply for a rebate at tax time. The gas costs more delivered that buying it out of a filling station. An overhead 300 gallon tank is what is commonly used for storage around here, and requires no pump.

5. Lerxt

Lerxt Well-Known Member

How do you prove you used it on the farm versus on the road? What are the criteria? I'm curious about this as well since I'm getting tired of dragging my little 5ga plastic gas can to the filling station when we realize we're out of gas for the mowers. And it'd be nice to fill up the vehicles at home instead of making my commute longer.

6. VVG

VVG Member

Just curious , Who does the checking for the red gas? Are all states like that?

7. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

If not all, then most do.

The state troopers mostly do the checking.

--->Paul

8. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Thanks so much guys. Sounds like something I may need to look into. We had the types of tanks that were on stands and were gravity fed as far as I can remember. Probably 100 gallons or so each. Unfortunately they disappeared when I left the homestead. I'm using about 20 gallons or more a week in unleaded these days. I have no idea how much diesel I'll be using when I decide to get a tractor. Probably not enough to make a tank feasible.

Always get some good advice here. Thanks!

9. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

I have two above ground fuel tanks and they are mounted on a trailer so not attached to the property. I don't know how much that matters as no one has ever checked me out. I keep red diesel in one tank and clear in the other. Red diesel on the highway as stated above is a no-no and enforced I believe by the IRS Treasury agents. My fuel costs about the same as it does at the filling station but the convenience factor is priceless. I have two backhoes, a Bobcat and two diesel powered trucks and most of our work is out here in the country far from any filling stations. So for me at least, delivered fuel is the only way to fly.