Home Fire Proection Systems

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SouthernThunder, Sep 6, 2004.

1. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

What are you folks using for fire protection of your homes? I have about 2 acres around my home that is cleared and miles of woods beyond that. If a fire were to head my way I don't know what I'd do because there is no fire department out here. I can see having extinguishers and a pump truck but what if Im not home? I thought about rigging up a spinkler system for the roof and outside of the house and tying it into a tower up hill. I don't know the pressure or water requirments that I would need though. Has anyone made their own fire system? I'm talking outside not inside here. Know of any web links?

2. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Seems to go along with the joys of living in peace and quiet. We do have a volunteer fire department, and when I inadvertently set the hill on fire, I called them. They had to stop and get directions, because there map did not show any houses on our hill, and Map Quest showed our address down the road about a half mile. If the fire had reached the trees, it would have been a disaster. They are full of dead wood, and the ravine woods would burn for days and affect many people. And the wind was blowing toward the house as well. We have great neighbors. Supplied with old blankets and buckets of water, the guys were able keep it from spreading rapidly while I drove down to the road to find the fire trucks. Not my proudest moment.

But we are now on the fire map, as well as our neighbor. I had the row of juniper bushes leading up to the house ripped out, and look carefully at anything that could cause a problem. The firemen asked if there was a source of water nearby, like a pond or stream, so if they had to replenish their supply they could.

So, a few things you could do, is be sure you are on the fire map. Keep a fire zone around the house free of evergreens, stored gas, etc., locate a source of water the trucks can use and arrange with the owner to use it in case of emergencies, and be very careful.

3. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

When the Jasper fire came through the USFS foamed all the houses that had done their cutting and removing of trees near the residences. Those that didn't are no longer with us ... ours is still here.

There is not a tree within 50 feet of the house, nor any shrubbery or grass of any kind. Not the most aesthetic but it looks better than an ash pile.

4. Kathryn L.Holck

Kathryn L.Holck Active Member

Remember the AZ fire a couple of years or so ago. My MIL cabin was saved due to the firemen of course but she did have everything cleaned up to prevent things from burning near ner place. She did lose a small shed and a few trees but there was a ravine between her place and the shed. Of the 17 or so homes on this 40 acre plot, 4 survived. One thing she did learn, is a LP tank near a trailer blew it's safety valve from the heat and it incinerated that trailer like a blowtorch. That is a safety issue that many people are not aware of. Which direction is your safety valve pointing on your LP tank, if you have an LP tank.

Let's hope a fire does not spoil your tranquility.

5. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Good point Kathryn! The fire fighters came through after the evacuation and prepared to vent off all the tanks if they HAD to. Ours points straight up and has a melt cap thingy that is supposed to let go at something like 200 deg or soemthing like that.

6. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Have you thought of a sprinkler system? If you are on a well, you may need a more powerful pump & at least 1'' water lines from the wellhead, but you could do that fairly cheap with PVC.

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Metal roof and metal siding or stucco will help. Clear ALL grass and plants around the house and put down weed barrier and layer of gravel. If you don't have a pond, then try to put in a big cistern and keep it full. If you do have a pond maybe put in a dry hydrant like Ken's. Go thru the wooded area and remove brush and dead wood. Either chip it up for garden mulch or cut to use for fire wood. Make sure NO glass is laying around any where. (Some neighbors of mine once had a fire start from some broken glass.)

BE AWARE! If you smell smoke, try to see where it is coming from. Know who to call if there is a fire, before you see the smoke!