Home, exhausted, lots of new goaties!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by manygoatsnmore, Oct 29, 2006.

1. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll get out there today and take pics to post, but I just had to take a few minutes to post about my goat buying trip yesterday.

First stop was WindStar Ranch, where I bought a lovely (and nasty-stinky) white (except where he's been peeing all over himself) LaMancha buck. His name is Windstar Illicit Affair, Bob for short. There are some pretty nice genetics in his pedigree, and I saw some of his 2006 dtrs. Very pretty kids.

While we were there, the breeder offered my dd a Nigie doe, IF we could get her caught. Luckily we had a carrier along, so after getting her trapped in the gate, we crated her up and took her along. :D The doe isn't registered, as the papers on the sire needed multiple tranfers and never did get untangled. Dam was registered. She could certainly go NOA ND. The catch is that she accidentally got in with a Saanen buck 2 weeks ago, and I have to make the decision to Lute (abort) her or to let her carry this pregnancy and hope that the doe's size really does determine size (I'll post on that separately). Mini Saanen?

Leaving Windstar, I got a frantic phone call from the breeder that Bob had escaped from the tack area of the trailer and was standing on the carrier in the back, looking like he might just jump out. :eek: We found a place to pull over, mighty quick!!! He just wanted to see where we were going, I guess. Got him tethered back there, and headed on down the road.

Caused quite a stir at the Costco gas station in Portland, lol. Picture my big, earless, bug-eyed, yellow-stained, buck goat, stinking to high-heavens, looking out through the side windows, lifting his upper lip and blubbering at the attendant pumping our gas!!!! Abby and I were in stitches looking in the mirror at the expression on the guy's face. He finally came up to my window and asked what the heck we had back there, "I know that ain't no horse, ma'am...I've NEVER seen anything like THAT!" Bob does the big city. :rolleyes: The guy ran off to tell the other attendants what Bob was - I guess they were all wanting to know. City boys, gotta love 'em.

We drove to Windbriar Farms to see the Oberhasli does and buck I posted about earlier, and they were so nice, I ended up splurging on an extra doeling. :) We ended up with Windbriar THB Talia's Vincente, a lovely 2005 buck, Windstar APO Shalimar, who is a 1/2 sister to our Fanfare, Shalimar's 2006 doe kid, Windbriar THB Windsong, and another 2006 doeling from the same sire, tentatively named Windbriar THB Spring Fling. The price was very reasonable for such a nice group, plus Shalimar is bred to an awesome buck, so we should have kids the end of January. :D I'm hoping for a buckling to get his sire's bloodlines into my herd, as well as a doe or two, of course.;)

We got home late, got everyone settled, and found Fanfare in heat, so she got to visit Vinnie right away. The little hussy, lol. Hopefully, this means we'll be having kids from her in about 5 months.

Just one more trip to make, to Southern OR to buy another pretty awesome chocolate LaMancha buckling. Hoping to make that trip Nov 1-2. I'm still firming up the plans there, but I think I have everything lined up here to be able to take a day or two off the farm. Then to find a nice big Alpine buck (my 2006 buckling is too small to reach the big girls), and I think we'll be done shopping! Good thing, too. My wallet is getting a bit flat, lol!

2. copperpennykids

copperpennykids Well-Known Member Supporter

Congratulations! What a shopping trip! Just the kind I could get into....:)
    Sounds like you have a lot to look forward to come this spring. Gotta love it.

Tracy (Soldier Mountain Alpines) has some really nice Alpines (S. Idaho) that milk like crazy, and of course, I'm sure you know that Lori Acton has gorgeous Alpines (she is Des Ruhigestelle for Saanens, but I don't remember what her Alpines are called), I'll never forget seeing Praline and her daughter at Nationals....They won Dam and Daughter, both were incredible and looked like twins, especially from the back.

Happy shopping....do you get to Christmas shop this year? LOL

3. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I think I would also lute the nigerian doe. The best I understand most everyone uses a nigerian buck to bred the larger breed does to get a mini. Nigerians even though have little problems kidding have babies that weight only about 2 lbs.

4. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, Al. Cowboy, I'm luting the ND doe. I called the vet and will be picking up the lute in a couple days (after I get back from S OR). I have a few more days to get it done before I hit 21 days. I've had a fairly large Pygmy doe carry 2 pregnancies after breeding to a Saanen and do well, but this little girl is tiny! I don't know if I'll rebreed her or not - I'd need to find someone around here with a nice Nigie buck.

I'm off to buy the chocolate LM buckling very early tomorrow morning. It'll be a long day - at least 10 hrs on the road, more if we take a side trip to Crater Lake, and stop to sightsee on the way down there, plus we'll want to see all the goats when we get there. We're calling it a 4-H activity, and homeschool field trip. ;)

I think all these goats count as my birthday, Christmas present, and maybe even Mother's Day next year, lol. I'll be checking out the leads you gave me, copperpennykids, for my Alpine. Thanks! I also posted on the Alpine Yahoo group, so I would imagine I'll be finding several to choose from.

The new bucks have already made themselves right at home with the ladies. :D 2 LM does in standing heat yesterday, woohoo! Hopefully, I'll be sending in preg tests next month. :dance:

The rest of the plan is that my lone Nubian will let us know she's ready with so many smelly guys in the vicinity, so I can get her to the breeder. Unlike your average Nubian, she is very quiet and doesn't flag a lot when she's in heat. Without a buck around, it's hard to catch her heat cycle. With twin doelings from her last time, I am looking forward to seeing what she gives us in the spring.

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Congrats on your new goats! Just curious as I raise LaManchas, what bloodlines do your new LaMancha bucks carry?

6. cayenne47

cayenne47 Critter Mama Supporter

what part of southern oregon are you coming to? Give me a call and maybe we can have a HT goat lunch, or maybe coffee. LOL