Home Depot = Den of Thieves

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, May 12, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Ayep, I caught them yesterday doing what I long suspected. Displaying a low price at the products area - charging a larger price at the checkout. It was 5 brass sash window locks - displayed at $0.89 cents each in two boxes of 100 side by side, the .89 displayed twice. At the check out they suddonly went to $2.89 each; I called them on it. A young clerk was called to verify this, he and I both went to where the locks were displayed.

The clerk saw the display and agreeded with the price posted to be .89 cents each. We went to the service desk to get my refund, again the run around as the mid manager went to see what we had just seen. Finally the difference was refunded, and the mid manager stated to the clerk, 'Go change the price sticker to'.... The clerk rolled his eyes as if to say; Why do I have to stand here and absorbe this same speach every time we get caught.

This was the third time I have caught them doing the same thing. Being very frugal and surviveing on a vets pension makes me very watchfull of where my small amount of money goes. Grocery stores are also guilty of the post and switch method, very much so, or they post a price slightly away from the product.

Home Depots usual answer when caught is; We cannot control where customers put stuff back in the wrong places. Bullfeathers, they are thieves, period. Proof of this? Once I got home and reviewed the recipt fully I did discover the 100 count screw threaded 'eye' bolts I puchased for $6.19 actually costs $8.95 at the check out.

In that most people just write the check because they usually purchase larger amounts for many items at one time, a price watcher like me is their worst nightmare. But the nightmare is going to get worse, the local tv investigator is now aware and promises that they will look into Home Depots actions. This is going to be sweet.....

2. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow this was an eye opener. When I USED to shop at wal-mart and they'd have long lines, someone would come up with a price gun and try to start scanning my items. I'd ask them what they were doing. She'd say that when I got to the register, they'd let me know how much I owe. So my response was "how am I supposed to see how much each item rings up at?" She looked at me like I had asked for a cup of baby eyeballs or something. So, when ever they'd come up with that gun I would refuse and told them the cashier would ring me up, I wanted to watch each item on the screen and check the price. At every store I go to, I've caught them doing this, including my beloved HEB.

3. emke

emke Well-Known Member

Both of my parents work at Home Depot and they say the policy on this is that the customer is ALWAYS right. Contact the District office and they will more than make it up to you. Explain how you had to stand around and wait. This big company doesn't want to lose any customers, so they will do what ever they can to keep you a customer there. Especially if you say you are going to start start shopping at Lowe's. ;)

4. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Yep, I noticed that too. I hate "big box" stores but have gone to home depot for things occasionally. Last time was for some iron threaded pipe fittings for gas lighting fixtures I have....amazing how the prices ring up for twice the label at the shelves! I have fun with that sort of thing though...hehehe. Good job catching them.

Some other things I've noticed shopping: at grocery stores, they'll have a great sale, but either A) the stuff is or nearly is expired or rotten or B) they don't have it in stock. Well, most will either get the more expensive good stuff instead of nearly expired or rotten, fruit often being rotten when on sale it seems, or the more expensive item in stock instead of the sale item. Me, I'll get a raincheck and wait till it's available and in good shape. They don't seem to like that.... :D

On walmarts- I know they put out things without repairing them that people have returned due to defects. I hate walamrts needless to say. I also read, I think on this board, they took off lead warning stickers from Chiense made decorative dishes.... :grump:

5. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I have noticed this myself in grocery stores, usually with produce. Usually it is because the cashier enters the wrong stock number for whatever it is that I am buying (IE- I buy Portabella Mushrooms at 3.00 a pound, and they ring up ****ake Mushrooms at 6.00 a pound). When I catch them at it, I usually get a refund. When I am at an upacale store such as Whole Foods, they sometimes get the attiude of 'If you can afford to shop here, you can afford to pay whatever we want to charge'. Then again, at Safeway in particular, I have been quite suprised to get the product for free whenever the register rings up something wrong.

6. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

Funny Home Depot story. The mistakes can work in your favor.

I bought a 1/4 sheet of pegboard which measures 2' x 4'. Later I decided I didn't need it and took it back without my reciept. I walk up to the return department with this small sheet tucked under my arm and placed it on the return counter. The clerk scanned it and and the credit rang up on the screen for a full 4' x 8" sheet at 4 times what I paid for the quarter sheet.

Very politely I said "mam are you sure that's correct?" she answered in a very irritated manner and said "Thats what the sticker says"

In response to her rude reply I chose not to argue with her and accepted four times what I paid for the sheet as my credit.

I thought it was funny that it didn't occur to her that if it was actually a 4' x 8' sheet of pegboard it might be difficult for me to tuck it under my arm or place it up on the counter so easily.

I think that dependence on the scanner stops people from really thinking. I'm sure it's very hard for a clerk to know all of the products in the store and I sympathize with that but I would think understanding the difference between 4 feet 8 feet and 2 feet 4 feet would be kind of a job requirement.

If you had the time you could probably make a living screwing them on returns like they screw you on the purchases.

7. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

Stop and Shop up here in MA had a policy that if it was priced wrong, you get one of that item free...
    I must've taken home 30 gallons of pink pineapple grapefruit juice before they figured out what was happened and changed the price.
    When I worked at Zany Brainy we had a guy come in, pick up a $200 Playmobil dollhouse and say that he wanted to return it for cash. Nope without a receipt you get a store credit. didn't want that. Needed the license for the return. didn't have one of those either...Needless to say he left without the pilfered Playmobil or a refund.

8. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

also pay attention to the price of bulk items some times the 5# bag costs more per pound than the 1 # bag. i was looking a strawberries at walmrt and found the flat was 3 bucks a # and the individual little green things were $1.50 got 2 #s and most woulda never looked twice. :no:

9. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

We have a new Walmart in Flippin and almost everyone I've talked to about it has been ripped off. They are charging twice for items. They did it to us. They also tried to overcharge on a watermelon. It was advertised at $3.50, but they tried to charge me $5.00. I was all over that LOL, because I though what a good deal at $3.50 in April. Was a good watermelon too.

10. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

I love when they do the bulk price more expensive than the small packages. I also have caught them putting the sticker under the item that does not belong there -looks like it should be but you end up paying double what you wanted to because the one you picked up didnt match the sticker.

L

11. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

I hope this story makes you feel better:

My Dad makes custom solar lamps. More to point uses commercial lamps and makes custom mounts and signs for them. He was at Home Depot and saw that they had the "NICE" lamps marked at $8.99 for a 2-pack. Now these lamps sell for $20 apiece usually. This was cheaper than his normal source. He grabbed a couple and took them to a cashier for a price check. Cashier said they were $42. Dad took 'em back and showed them how they were marked. Manager got involved. Manager says to the cashier "Give them to him at that price then get the price changed". Cashier says to Dad "How many do you want sir?". Dad says " All of them".
    He bought the whole stinkin' pallet...and it was a brand new pallet.
    Mismarking stuff cost them dearly that day.

Shane

12. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

This is all just a part of streamlining & computerizing the whole checkout process.

I remember going shopping with mom in the little pa & ma grocerie stores in town many decades ago, and she would have to ask for the correct change all the time. It wasn't an effort to cheat us - it was just too hard for some folks to come up with the correct change, and in those days the cash register barely came up with the total, not the amount of change....

Back then, & probably now, it is not an effort (most of the time) to cheap people, it is oversights & mix-ups & computer programimg error. My opinion.

I appreciate those who watch for this, make the checkout ring up the sales & not a scanner, and so on. I do the same, and it protects each of us from this getting worse.

As a farmer I spend $1000's every year in the one local small-chain ag supply store in town. I used to get upset over _all_ their errors on sale prices. I've since learned to just live with it, and watch each checkout. Their help has a bad habit of placing brand-X under the brand-Z stickers on the shelf, And they just very often get the sale prices messed up.

But, I need the store, I would be worse off without it, & the poeple are friendly & helpful, from the checkouts to the manager. Just have to accept it as a thing to watch carefully.

I don't see this as an evil Home Depot or super store plan, but just the errors of humanity, from before computers as well.....

--->Paul

13. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I could buy 'this is just a mix up' if part of the time it favored me, as of now it has never favored me.

14. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Funny how the sales clerks just go by what the register rings...was at Sears buying polo shirts for my son when he was little...supposed to be on sale 2/$12. Rang at 89 cents a piece!!!! Called her attention to the wrong price...even walked her over to the display and she still insisted that was the price...so,hey, went back and got 10 more!!!!!!!!!!! I never let them start ringing until I can watch the scanner. Never buy re-tapped anything at Wallyworld. Always get a raincheck...our local grocery doesn't put an expiration date or limit on them so save until prices go up...like the ten lbs. butter I just got at the 2/$2.50 price. My pennies have to work for me no matter what store I'm shopping in. Home Depot isn't that cheap; actually get better prices at my dealer for things like JD parts...and far better service. Make a point of praising good service. Hubby broke down on trip to MI and he got exceptional service replacing a fuel pump late in the evening at a 24 hr. shop ...called the manager to report it and also sent a letter to the employee of thanks. So many of the "little people"never get recognition for what they do. DEE

15. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

What I hate is, when they have made a mistake and now I have to go get in another line to have it corrected. The last time that happened I refused to move until a manager came. He took me to a closed check stand, opened it and refunded my money.

16. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Its systemic.

When barcoding and scanning first come out (early 80's late 70's) people complained that without the price stuck on each item the customer at checkout would have no way of knowing if they were charged correctly. In Texas, the State countered with a "forever" promise that correct prices would always be on each item and that barcode scanning would just increase checkout speed.

Same bs techinque the all government uses to sustain lying over the long term.

So, the burden of accurate price checking has today landed directly in the customer's lap.

While we're at it, I hate it when you pay for your goods and the checkers slap a floppy receipt with a few bill on top of it and a tottering pile of coins on top of that. I did'nt hand them anything that way! But it speed things up and moves the head of cattle further down the chute.

Point about Wal-Mart. You often have to really fight to get them to keep or even recognized their Ad-match posted promise.

17. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

We have a new Home Depot open up near us....90 miles away. I went in there last week just to check things out. Nope, my opinion of them hasn't improved since the last time I went in one 10 years ago.

The next day, I went back to my hometown, locally owned hardware, farm & feed and anything else I need store and told them how much I loved them and how I can't wait until they get their lumber department up and running.

What honks me off, is our personalized, customer oriented, local family owned business hits wall after wall of red tape delays thrown at them by the county as they try to expand to include all our needs, and is STILL being delayed. They made their permit applications two years befor Home Depot did, but the Home Depot came in on a greased rail, got all their permits and opened in just a fraction of the time.

18. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I don't shop at WalMart if I can help it but I can't always help it. It isn't because of the register ringing up the wrong prices. I'm good at keeping my focus as the cashier rings it up or I now use the self check out. It's because of the Walmart customers who buy something, take out a part they need and then return the item for a full refund, or the people who buy lightbulbs, replace theirs at home, refill the carton with used lightbulbs for a full refund, or the people who buy something break it out of ignorance and return it for a refund and then having it restocked on the shelf. ToyRUs is similar- so many beat up toys, toys missing pieces, and toys abused at the store it is better to find something at the flea market, imo. At least there, people are honest enough to tell you their kid mopped the floor with it.

19. Jessikate

Jessikate Well-Known Member

Good Lord that makes me so mad. I'm 29, I was tought in a pharmacy/halmark store to count change back and it has stuck. Everywhere I have worked I have been complemented on my money handling skills by coustomers and employers alike. As a bar manager, I make sure my staff is fully trained on making change with a step by step process:

1) Tell the person the price, and then when the person hands you a bill, you tell them what it is. eg. "Three Budweisers. That will be Nine dollars please." The customer hand tender a $20 the bartender says "Out of Twenty." to the customer.

2) The bartender aproaches the register and lays the bill on the counter next to it.

3) Bartender rings in three Budweisers and may hit subtotal or cash out, but may not use "Out of" function key. In fact I have removed this ke altogether. The cash button must be used to open the drawer, and the total ammount owed is still on the display.

4) The bartender then begins with the change, then to the ones, fives and tens, counting upwards in order to reach the amount of the bill on the counter. Once this amount is reached, then the bill may be put into the register.

5) The Bartender returns to the customer and says "that was nine dollars out of twenty. One makes ten and a ten makes twenty, thank you."

This system makes sure the customer hears twice what amount the bill they gave was, and the bartender counts the change twice, once to themselves and once to the customer.

I also use this system because too often I have seen it busy and have seen bartenders fumbling tih the cash register trying to match the change in their hand to what the readout says you should be giving. There are often overrings when things have been keyed too fast. This way of counting back also improves mathematical skills, which are pretty valuable when the bar is 6 deep and everyone wants seven diffrent things. To be able to add these things together while creating them shows a profesionalisim I rarely see in bars now.

End of my gripe.

Jes - who actualy stands threre and counts change out to make sure it's right. My mother says I remind her of an onld woman on a pension - I remind her that this is my way of insuring that I don't have to rely on a pension.

20. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

How do you get in touch with the District Office? I had a big problem with one of the managers at my local Lowes. I called the corporate office which only routes you to a voice mail complaint system to record your gripe and they forward that back to the store where you had the problem. How do you complain then management is the problem? Makes you wonder why they try so hard to run off customers.

Dale (DH of Mary, TX)