Home Depot Changes Policy

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, Oct 14, 2004.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Home Depot USED to both meet and beat their competitors prices. I guess with Lowes around, that is getting too expensive. They will now meet the price, but will not beat the price by 10% as before. Kind of removes the incentive to shop at Home Depot as their wood isn't as higgh a quality as Lowes and if I have a project to do, I can get a competitive or better price from our ther local lumber stores.

This might be an indication of why Home Depots stock price is about half of Lowes stock price.

home Depot has steadily gone down hill since Bob Nardelli took over as chairman. He almost destroyed GE and now is doing the same with Home Depot. Employee benefits are about gone too (no I don't work there), but I used to own their stock.

2. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I was at home depot and had to check myself out! they have eliminated their work force by having me do the work!

They won't be seeing me there much anymore!

3. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

We spent 3 years remodelling our last home. We loved Home Depot, everyone was so helpful.
    Then this past year we moved and had to do more Home Depot shopping for the new house, barn, etc. Wow! Things have really changed! You cannot find a person, if you do "it's not my department" and then they walk off - I thought that only happened at Wal-Mart, or they actually (now this has happened twice so far) huffed and puffed and gave me the wrong thing. They don't LISTEN like they used to. The Home Depot was suppose to cater to those of us that were "do it yourselfers" Therefore, sometimes we didn't always know what we needed or how to do it. They are no longer helpful and I just can't wait to get out of their store!
    Unfortunately, I have never been into a Lowe's. We don't have one around that I know of. The closest home store is Home Depot.
    <sigh> and HD just opened one up closer also.
    I'm really disappointed in the route that Home Depot has taken. I used to own stock and then I sold it last year or maybe it was the year before.
    I'd rather go to my local rebuild it center (recycled building supplies).
    Just to think..Home Depot used to be my favorite store. I used to go in just to look around and get ideas. Now they irritate me too much.

BlessedMom

4. poppy

poppy Guest

I've never been to Home Depot, but around here I don't care for Lowes. I can equal or beat their prices on appliances at the local appliance dealer. Plus, the local store will deliver and install them. Lowes drops them off in the cardboard box and you deal with it.

5. trtalbott

trtalbott Well-Known Member

I've never really cared for HD. For one thing the employees are not knowledgeable. The big reason I was turned off to them, is the stupid yuppie consumer those places produce. These people can't even rake their lawns without having the Home Depot logo stamped on their leaf bags.

6. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I agree the HD in Benton Harbor sucks for service but sales are down nearly 30% I was told because of the booming economy. 1/2 OSB is down to 11.99 anyway. i really like the self checkouts. In business it saves lots of time and I can get cash back without paying an ATM fee.Lowes has a much better selection though.

mikell

7. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Write a letter detailing your observations and send them both to local management and to the corporate head office. Consumer feedback counts more than talking to the bad help.

:rolleyes:

8. carole in ky

carole in ky Member

I use the Frankfort KY Home Depot. I find that the prices are lower than Lowe's and that all the employees are very courteous and helpful. Even going out of their way. Do you think that hiring is done by the store manager and he is the reason why employees are either good or bad. I think that the stores are influenced by their local management.

A Lowe's is right across the street from our Home Depot so maybe intense competition is the reason.

9. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

ive been to home depot and lowes both on a pretty regular basis, i dont like either, very much , i like my local home store much better, this speaking as an ordinary cutomer, and as a contractor....
    lowes and home depot .... why should i be wasting manhours , and my payroll paying one of my men to pick out and load thier own lumber when one phone call to my local building store, they will hand pick and load and deliver my lumber , for free???
    now, granted i am talking from a bigger perspective here, we've spent over 1.5 million this year in materials, and theres still 2 .5 months to go ...
    of that money, about 75k has went to lowes, about 80% of the balance has went to the local companies
    ( theres 2), why , if i bring them lowes price, they will meet it, if they dont carry something similar, , at least in a few cases, they will order it, and i f its something i need regularly , they will keep it in stock ,
    the return process is hassle free,
    case in point, we purchased a bunch of nails for our nail guns (ok , a lot, 1 pallet worth ) the folks at lowes reccomended this other brand, to save money, when we asked for some to try out ( believe it or not not all nails work in all guns) the "cheapo" ones they reccomended had an extra wire holding the nails together, the wires got stuck , and broke two of our nail guns ... told lowes about it, and cancelled the order.they still charged us a 5% restocking fee, and offered gee , sorry about the guns, nothing we can do , company policy, et al... line ... went to the local store, cause frankly we were pretty peeved,
    told them about that brand name of nails, they said, hey thats why we dont carry them, they ordered us another pallet of nails, the slightly more expensive ones we had been loath to use, because of the price, but then , they also asked for our nail guns .....
    it was like , umm ok ....
    next day they called , said nails are in , and they dropped them off, with our nail runs, repaired, and a new one, thrown in by the nail company, as an incentive to continue using them :D , not a bad deal

I realize im talking in quantities that most of you will never deal with , but what i am really getting at is think about the smaller local store, if you can.... they will treat you better every time, yeah , they might not have the buying power of the mega lo mart , but , still.... would you rather have your money spent with your neighbor steve, or some corporate monkeys?

10. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

i worked for home depot, in vicksburg, m.s. for a year, and wish i was still there, i quit because of a illness. the hiring is done through the human resource dept. i had extensive training for 2 weeks 8-5 eveyday, that was for cashiere, i then took a national garden certification class that was 8 weeks long, it is the regional office that mandates how many employees work each day in each dept, and the needs are based on the previous years sale for that day, we were always short handed, when i cashiered, i was always leaving my register trying to help customers, if i was you i'd write a letter to the home office it's in atlanta georgia. it is not the associates fault that there is not enough people scheduled and they are spread to thin, everyone i worked with always went out of their way to help the customers.

11. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

The killing of Home Depots customer service, the decreases in their staffing, and the loss of the company benefits all started when Bob Nardelli took over as CEO. Thats also when the stock price went in the tank.

Home Depot has just joined the Wall Marts of the world for crappy customer service. The original owners of Home Depot should be turning over in their graves.

12. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

I bought a very nice Milwakee drill from Home Depot about a year ago, it shorted out on my the second use, but as the drill was in Alaska I had to bring it back down. I went to return it and was told that I could only return things in the first 90 days otherwise I would have to have it repaired. I asked where to go, I was told their "Special Services" would have the answer. I went to special services and stood in line. I was told that they didn't know. The girl made a few phone calls and finaly supplied me with the manufactures phone #. Corporate was closed, I was so frusterated I went back in grabbed the Milwakee book on the counter and looked through the pages, to no suprise I found all the manufacturer approved dealers listed by State and City, took me less than a min. to get the information I needed.

Just plain pour customer service, I waited in line better than a half an hour. It would be more advantagous for me to spend more money on a product somewhere else than to waste time, which is precious to me, dealing with people like this.

-Anataq