Home Depot 1 cent buys

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by PonderosaQ, Dec 27, 2004.

1. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Just back from Home depot. They were clearing out all conifers labelled for Christmas at 1 cent each. I got blue spruce, dwarf alberta spruce, hemlock and holly. Wish I could have got more than 29 of them in my husband's van. Some of them were 5-6' tall and labelled at over $50 each. Check your local HD maybe they have some left.

PQ

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Are these live trees you are talking about? I wonder if they have been sprayed with anything . . . I could feed some of them to my goats . . . not the holly, though. Too much snow on the roads to go anywhere today, though. I'll have to make a run in to town tomorrow and see what they've got.

Kathleen

3. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

live trees shipped fronm southern farms for xmas and kept inside the greenouse area wont live thru the winter outdoors, so take notice where they have them and if they are in an active growth piriod. if the tips are soft and sticky, they wont live past a few hard freezes.

if they are harded dormant B&b trees outside.... I'm there!!

4. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

They are live trees. Some of them are in regular soil, must have been dug but not burlapped.Those were very heavy. Some are in a lighter potting mix.All are in bright red pots, regular stock are in black pots. They have been kept outside at the store and on the dry side. For 1 cents each I don't care if I lose a good % of them. I can do that paying much more just as easily. There is nothing to indicate on them if they have been sprayed. They don't look as if they have been colored, feel and smell normal but that doesn't guarantee anything!

PQ

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Just a reminder used cut Christmas trees make good pond structures. If your pond is frozen deep enough just tie a weight to the base and leave it/them set out on the ice. During spring thaw they will drop to the pond bottom where they are placed. However, don't venture out on even a solid looking pond without someone standing by with a long rope.