Home Butchering - Meat Saw

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, Jul 26, 2004.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Just got a new catalog from Northern Tool and Equipment and they have a Band Saw in their Food processing section that is for cutting up meat. It also has a built in powered grinder attached. Cost is $229.00 and it sure seems that it would simplify doing a good job on processing both game and farm animals that need butchering. Since they advertise it in their food processing section I assume it is one that would be easy to clean.

2. texican

texican Well-Known Member

One of my uncles (who in the past butchered several hogs a week, and never used a meatsaw/bandsaw) brothers has one of those saws. About the only use he has for it is cutting up the t-bones and pork chops. My uncle inspected it several times after it was supposedly cleaned, and meat and bone fragments still hid in the crannies...and after a couple uses, it sits in the corner of the garage.

I process all my deer/elk/pig, and the only time I might use it would be to cut the loins into tbone or pork chop. Easy enough to just cut out the meat, cook the meat off the bones, and not have an expensive saw sitting in the barn.

BTW, the one he has has a meat grinder on it. That could really be useful, if it's powerful enough to really work, without burning up after a solid day of grinding...

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

A more useful tool would be a good large sausage grinder. You can buy one of the manual imports for cheap and from Cabela's you can obtain a pulley that will let you motorize the grinder. The grinder will let you make burger and sausage thus forgoing waste. I debone all the meat I process and therefore do not need a saw except to cut the legs off when skinning. I use a sawsall for this. A cubing machine is a really nice accessory for utilizing tougher cuts of meat or just for overall enhancing the better cuts. I store the knives for my cuber in the freezer just in case I am unable to get them as clean as I would like. An investment in some good knives is also a plus. I typically process 8 to 10 deer for myself and others each fall. I have a large convenience store type freezer that I use to age the carcasses in since it is often still hot here in NC in the fall.

4. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Easy to clean? it takes some work but not any different then if you had to clean one in a butcher shop.

Grinder last all day? who in the world would spend the entire day grinding meat on a meat grinder made for home use? Even when I butcher 7 turkeys it only took 1.5 hours to grind 120 pounds of meat.

I have one and love it. I use it to cut the carcass up. sure makes it easier to cut a leg off then trying use a manual saw and knife.

The table moves and it is all stainless steel. This isn't made for commercial use, but rather home use. After all what does one expect for $229?

5. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

It is on sale on the website now for $199. I got one last winter and love it. It does take a bit to clean but it sure does make cutting stuff up faster and a lot easier. I am a terrible butcher, I could turn a perfectly good steak into dog food chunks in two seconds flat so the saw is great for me :haha: .

6. Their shipping charges are a killer, before you buy, compare to harbor freight

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

8. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I wonder if they will deliver it for me when they do their next roadshow in Kerrville, TX in August??

9. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Yelp got mine UPS.You get one give me a holler,before you use it.

big rockpile