Home building where you are

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Here in NC you can build your own home provided you have a contractor sign off on it. BUT you can't sell it without living in it a year. What about where you live?

2. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

No restrictions like that around me, in western Wisconsin.

You don't have to be a liscensed contractor to build houses to sell, but you do have to have the plumbing/septic done by a liscensed plumber, at least the septic system. Not real sure if there are similar restrictions on electrical work on a brand new house or not, but you can do your own electrical in the house you are living in.

Jim

3. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Nothing like that here. We hired our house framed & the septic system put in & did the rest ourselves including wiring & plumbing. No permits or inspectors, except the electric company had an inspector come out & look at the weather head, etc. before they turned the electricity on.
    Permits are required for septic systems now, but we got ours in just before the deadline.

4. BackwoodsIdaho

BackwoodsIdaho Well-Known Member

Up here in North Idaho, there are no building permits required. You have to pay $70 for a building location permit that basically tells the county what you are going to build and approximately where. After that, unless you have grid power or connect to a municipal sewer, you don't have to have any inspections at all. The state does the electrical inspections for those on the grid, solar folks like us never see an electrical inspector.

katlupe and Rosco99 like this.
  5. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

We built the house we are now living in, so I think I can accurately say that here in Michigan if you are the owner you may build your house without being a contractor, but it must pass all the same required inspections that a house built by a licensed builder would have to go through.

We were doing happy dances after every inspection that we passed the first time through :) We did have a couple we had to make a few minor changes but passed with flying colors after that.

6. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

This question arose because I have a friend that's moving up to NC and wants to build hi own home. But he also wants the option of selling it and building another in 6-12 months if the job he's coming for doesn't pan out.

So if a NC contractor is on here is there a way for him to do this?

Thanks,
    Kenneth in NC

7. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

You ever get a contractor sign off on a home he didn't build? I never heard of it happening. Good Luck

8. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

We built our own house here in Missouri, but did contract out the foundation, the heating/cooling, and plumbing. We had to have a pencil drawing of our proposed house, with square footage when we bought the permit. We had to have a perk test on the soil for the sewage, that inspected twice, and that was it 8 years ago. Now you have to have three inspections when you are building the house no matter who is building it: (1) during foundation work, before they pour the cement, (2) after studding in, (3) final habitation, inspecting to see if the house is good enough to live in, of course the sewage inspection too, oh, the water company has to look at the water line before it is covered up too. Getting more complicated yearly.

9. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Mississippi: you do it yourself, outside of a city, there are no inspections required.

Win07_351 likes this.
  10. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

No permits required unless you have less than 10 acres, and then you have to have a permit for a septic. $35. If you have 3 acres or less, you must have a perc test and permit for $350.

No building inspectors. No building or zoning laws.

Some properties have building restrictions such as a certain amount of sq footage or no mobiles etc.

You can build your own, wire your own, plumb your own. No one cares.

Win07_351 likes this.
  11. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I heard one of my shop's customers(in Texas) talking about having to live in his new house for 1 year and then being able to sell it and get some kind of tax break. This person owns a home building company, however. I am not sure about the rules pertaining to the "average Joe".

12. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

My dh and I own a plumbing business. Here in our county, all plumbing must be done by a licensed master plumber. We have had people ask us to pull the permit for them so they can do the work themselves. We say :"NO WAY". If our license # is on the permit, we are responsible for the work and for anything that goes wrong. The homeowner can blame it on us and sue us. WE are not going to jepordize our license and our way of making a living so some guy can save money. That's plain senseless. We go thru a lot to get the license. The same deal with electricians too.

Laura Lynn

13. Momo

Momo Well-Known Member

Only one restriction of any sort here..you must have your new septic system approved by the health department before you cover it up. The cost is minimal to have it inspected. You can put it in yourself but it must meet code.

If you live in a city though it's a different story. Building inpsectors, permits,etc.

14. mike554

mike554 Well-Known Member

We built our own home here in Ashe County, NC. We didn't have to get a contractor sign off on it and never heard anything about having to live in it for a year before selling. You have to live in it for two years to get the tax break when you sell.

15. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

So far here in south central Ky we have no such restrictions... if you want it, build it, if you decide tomorrow that you dont like it... sell it. :)

Win07_351 and Dixie Bee Acres like this.
  16. farmgal

farmgal Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm out of town in the country in New York. All I needed was architect approval of my plans. I could build everything myself. But I did hire framing. Building inspector inspects it along the way. They let you build anything you want as long as an architect approves. You can do all your electrical and then you need 2 inspections by nys electrical inspector. One for initial wiring before insulating n drywall. Then a final. He will tell you if you need help how to do something. His total bill was like 150$. Otherwise no other requirements. I did my own plumbing, electrical, drywall and gaslines.

Septic can be done yourself but the health department makes you do drainage check first. And before it's all closed up he has to inspect your work. I hired out. it was only 4500$ for septic n leach bed. Can't beat that. And I bought an over sized system.

People have a wrong impression that New York has tough building codes. Thats only in cities. Very relaxed in the country. I have many sheds n out building I been putting up with no problems. You need no permits if it's not perminately attached to the ground.

katlupe and Win07_351 like this.
  17. ognend

ognend Well-Known Member

Here in our county in central TX a building permit is $35 and if you build yourself, no inspections. You are required to have an appropriately sized aerated (!) septic tank and you are required to have a maintenance contract on the septic tank (about $200/yr) that requires 4 yearly inspections of the tank (the stupid thing is that the county does not get involved in regulating the contractors so if they take the money but don't show up - "oh well", the county wouldn't even give me a letter to say that the contractor never filed the quarterly reports so I could not take the lazy bum to court for my $200). If a builder builds your house, there are inspections. No requirement to live in the house for a period of time as far as I know.

18. simi-steading

simi-steading Well-Known Member Supporter

Where I am, I can walk out my door and build anything I want with no permits and no inspections, no government involvement. No restrictions about selling..

The only thing I would have to get the county involved in is if I was putting in a well or septic..

farmgal and Win07_351 like this.
  19. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

And, so, where is "here"?

20. Vickie44

Vickie44 Well-Known Member Supporter

This thread is from 2004.

farmgal likes this.