Home Aquaculture

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sylvar, Mar 8, 2005.

1. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

There isn't a fish forum, so will post this here. Is anyone out there farm raising fish? The recent Crayfish thread got me thinking about this again. I am concidering raising catfish in an aquaponic type setup. Anybody here doing this? Anyone raising other types of fish?

Sylvar

2. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi! We got all sorts of info from the Ag agy here in Ky. They also have lots of info on their website.... We haven't done it but put in a half acre pond recently and are thinking about it. We have a cost share program here and the state refunds half your investment if you qualify. Not a bad idea, when you think about it. For $25, they'll even come out and stock it!

Where are you? They might offer something similar in your area or have info on their website.

3. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

What part of KY are you in? I am from just south of Nicholasville. I know that the UK Ag college was pushing freshwater shimp for awhile. They were offering all sorts of help to get you started too.

I am up in Stoutsville, Ohio now. I haven't seen much Aquaculture going on in these parts! LOL

Sylvar

4. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Sylvar, I raise freshwater shrimp here in western Oklahoma. One of my favorite sites on aquaculture is
    http://aquanic.org/

If you look under species it shows other fish you might be interested in.
    Good luck! :)

5. rwzzz

rwzzz Well-Known Member

For some strange reason I have been thinking of raising catfish in a barrel as seen here: http://www.kurtsaxon.com/foods007.htm

maybe I'm protein starved or something

take care
    Rob Z
    NE Pa

6. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

I love both those sites. There are a lot of good aquaponics sites out there too.

I love catfish, and I don't think I would have any problems growing them. I would love to know if anybody is growing trout though.

I have also concidered rasing the freshwater shrimp and crayfish (especially the austrailian ones...they are HUGE).

Sylvar