Holy Samolie I think I am a homestead business!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sisterpine, Mar 7, 2005.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings! I think it is finally happening that I have found a couple of ways to make money on my little homestead. I have made almost 600.00 in the past 30 days and am pretty darn tickled! I have sold 60 tumbled river stone cabinet knobs (stones from the river near by) and 1 NakedPine Coat tree to a guy in California. Those little trees grow here too and I really enjoy stripping them and making them into coat racks and other things! And beginning next Monday I have 7 steady egg customers for my 15 hens to supply at 2.50 per dozen (should pay for feed huh?). Any way just wanted to share my blessing with you all as I know we all struggle to make ends meet. Kathleen

2. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

Great Job! Never has one been more blessed , than a person who can make a little cash doing things they really love.Just be careful, if it gets too good , you will be so buisy, it wont seem like fun anymore. Just kidding, and best wishes to ya. Marty.

3. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

What are,

can you send a picture and tell more about it, sounds like fun and good?

All the best,

Alex

4. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

cabe is more correct than they know.

Our nearly perfected simple life was ruined, not by debt or lack: rather we had trouble with a great imagination, and then having those ideas grow and work out too well. From simple life -- no worries -- easy going -- to half million dollar a year very supposedly successful and stressful good business.

Be careful -- it's not worth it -- well, we all gotta do what we gotta do, right?

Alex

5. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Just so you will have a frame of reference, we gladly paid $4.00 per dozen in the Atlanta area for true (not Agribusiness raised) free range eggs; even more for duck eggs.

The market is there.

:)

6. GrannySue

GrannySue Active Member

EXCELLENT JOB!!! Best of luck, and grow, but grow carefully -

You all get some great prices for your eggs... Last time I bought here it was 80 cents a dozen for free range! Saw 'certified organic' for $2.00 at a place in WI, but haven't priced them here. HFs probably get close to $3.

Sue

7. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

shoot i have to nearly beg folks to pay me $1.25 for my pullets eggs, but once they get a dozen they come back instead of buying those cardboard flavor eggs at the grocers.... @ $1.25 i figger what i feed is covered.... but i dont feed layer mash or grower, or anything with the additives in it, just plain ole whole white wheat, whole oats, barley [sometimes they do get three way by fighting the horses for it] and rolled pea screenings. they fight the cats for table scraps, and end up eating a bit of commercial cat dry food.... if they come off the roost at night that is.... but it dont matter what a person gets for eggs, just that a person is eating their own pullets eggs and knowing when they were actually collected/layed within reason.....

as far as selling other products, it varies here too, maybe this year i wil get back into log furniture again.... giving it away for the small sums to offset the time in making a piece..... just cant figure out how some people can get so many dollars out of just plain ole wood made into furniture......but when i was making it before it made me happy to know someone was happy with what i did for them.

hope you make enough to offset all your yearly needs this year.

William

8. sisterpine

shoot, i had a reply here but seem to have lost it. selling eggs is just to pay for feed for my girls. the knobs thing grew out of my desire to make myself some stone knobs for my own kitchen etc. i will never have enough time to devote to this hobby for it to get very big, but every little bit helps i say! here are a couple of photos so you can see the knobs and even one of the coat tree just for fun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

These are GREAT!
    Its always interesting to see how artistic folks here are!

Are you going to make these items available on the barter board?

10. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Do you have a website sisterpine? How do you sell to people in California if not?

11. sisterpine

jackie, yes and yes, building website myself so no perfection LOL site is at nakedpines.com enjoy, i need to update photos there too. also selling on ebay under stone knobs!

12. sisterpine

had not thought about the barter board, but i expect i could post some there too, hmmm you folks always have such great ideas! Alex, i just printed your photo to show to my brother who has a cabin in the mountains in ariz, great idea!

13. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

That's SUPER! Happy for you, and wishing you the best of continuing luck! Your crafts are real pretty.

hollym

14. Blackthorne

Blackthorne Member

Those river rock handles are terrific!!! But I have to ask - How have you attached the brass knob to the rock??? (can you tell I loved to take things apart as a child??) And the tree stand is just wonderfull!! Friends have a VERY rustic cabin, and that is what I thought of as soon as I saw the photo.

15. sisterpine

Okay from having just a plain tumbled/polished stone you then drill a 6.3 mm hole in the back about 7mm deep with a diamond bore drill bit. Then you rough up the inside of the hole, mix up some special steel to masonary epoxy (clear) squiggle the stem top around in the epoxy then stick it in the stone and twirl it around a bit. Then place on the wood stove wall for about 3 days to dry and cure! Simple as all that!

16. Blackthorne

Blackthorne Member

Sisterpine;
    Thank you! - I rather thought you would have to drill the rock, but was not sure that such a thing could be done without breaking it. They are beautiful - have you marketed them to any home improvement stores or cabinet makers in your are?? I think people would really go for them. Not to mention those wild, wonderful coat trees! - Love em!! Good luck!

17. C@TFISH

C@TFISH smells like garlic

It's illegal to take rocks out out of rivers around here.(or any public place really) I guess if all the rocks get taken, erosion? It's called rockhounding, and if it's not illegal where u are, it soon will be.

Where do you get your trees from? It's also illegal here to strip and cut live trees.(unless it's on your own land)