Holstein Steer ?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by mommahen2four, Mar 14, 2009.

1. mommahen2four

mommahen2four Well-Known Member

I'm looking at a 1 yr. old holstein steer. What's the going rate for that age steer, and how long to finish it? Thanks!

2. Trisha in WA

Trisha in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know about a year old steer, but I just bought 2 that were under a week old for five dollars each.

3. Callieslamb

Callieslamb Well-Known Member

My dad's always grew taller faster than they grew heavier. He butchered at about 18 months, maybe a bit less.

4. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

At auction a one year old Holstein steer is only worth .45-.50 a pound. The auction price pasted below is based on a six month old calf...just using it as an example. If it came from a clean farm, healthy stock, and I'm wanting to fill my freezer I'd buy the steer for .70 cents per pound just knowing that the animal was well care for. A solid large framed holstein steer will weigh in at 850-950 at one year old. So $650 is a far selling price for you and the seller....JMO

5. francismilker

francismilker Udderly Happy! Supporter

I sold some last month at the sale barn that averaged 550lbs each and took home an average of .62 per pound. I'm with topside, if I could find one from a clean farm with good health to put in the freezer, I'd give more than market price.