holstein calves

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by btaylor, Jun 24, 2005.

1. btaylor

btaylor New Member

I bought 5 holstein bottle bull calves from a local dairy farm for $150 i was just wondering if it is a waste of time to raise these and sell them or can i make a little spending money at it? Is 400 lbs about the right weight to sell them at?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

If you have the feed take them to 1200/1400 lbs and then sell them. They will bring a good price as they will go directly to burger.

3. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

You really need to look at your local markets. In my area, a holstein steer weighing 500 lbs wil bring $120 per 100 lbs, and a 1000+ will bring around $80 per 100 lbs. Of course some will bring a touch more, and others a touch less.

We buy calves as you do. Each on in its own calve pen for about 6 weeks days. Bottel feed 3 qts twice a day with free choice feed and water until each is eating about 4 lbs of starter feed each. I castrate at 60 days. After they are out of the pens I keep them in a small area to see if any are trying to suckle at at. Then deworm them, add a salt block to pasture, and turn them out. I take them to 500 lbs. or so.

When you look at your market price, look back over the past month or so. Keep in mind that most livestock markets are going to tank for a bit here starting Monday.

4. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

Why are they going to tank? If prices are going down would now be a good time to buy calves?

5. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

It is my feeling that the markets are going to drop due to the USDA announcing Friday, after the markets closed, that the suspected case of Mad Cow was confirmed.