Holstein bull

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by ihedrick, Jun 25, 2005.

1. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

I was offered a holstein bull, 1 year old, for $500. I wanted to get something for beef for the freezer, but am not sure if this is too expensive for this guy or if holsteins are best left for dairy farms. The family thought he'd be a good pet, but realized he was getting bigger and bigger...so he is friendly; but Ihave no cow...

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I dont' know if it is a good price or not, but those little lovable babies that are left intact, often become mean and dangerous. They have no fear. I would be very cautious. I have heard that holstein bulls can be especially mean...

3. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

Considering cattle have been going for $1.35-$1.50 a pound here $500 sounds pretty good, since he is probably well over 500 lbs by now. He isn't finished out, and I don't know how much being intact would affect his flavor. Hw's not very old so I wouldn't think it would affect it much. However, I wouldn't suggest keeping an intact bull around for very long. If it were me I would take him and put him in the freezer fairly quickly.

4. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

I would check out a local auction real quick before buying him. Around here Holsteins sell for almost nothing. I took a weanling Holstein bull calf to the sale last month and got $105 for him. How big is he? That would help a little. If you butchered him pretty quick it would not really affect the flavor.

5. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Day-old holstein bulls are going for $130 around here. If I were going to butcher him I would castrate him immediately and feed him for about 90 days before I butchered him. Buckshotboers is right; all the dairy bulls tend to get mean when left intact. I would NOT keep him around for long as a bull.

6. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Iris,
    A 1 yr old holstein bull is a good buy at $500.00 these days, of course he is going to be far from ready for the freezer, & i would highly suggest the 1st thing you do upon getting him is castrate him. then just feed him good & watch him grow, a holstein will not finish out until they reach the 1500 to 1800 lb range sometimes bigger.
    He is probably less then half that right now, i say get him it's a good price in my opinion
    Rick

7. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I would get him castrated and then finish him out. I would check with the local slaughter plant to see if they can handle a steer that is over 1500 pounds. Around my area they will not butcher anything over 1500.

Bobg