Holland Lop ?'s

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Sinenian, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Sinenian

Sinenian Well-Known Member

I am new to rabbits, and have many questions. If anyone (especially with experience with Holland Lops) can answer my questions I would appreciate it.

Feeding:
    ~How much feed? - The breeder I baught from said that 1/2 a Cup a Day is the right amount. She said when my Does are in the last 15 days of pregnancy to give tallow them to have food avaliable at all times. Are these good Guidelines?
    ~Hay - I've been giving them hay avaliable at all times. Is this OK?

Breeding and Culling:
    ~Any tips on Culling - I need tips on culling to seperate the Show Qualities from the Breed Qualites from the Pets
    ~Inbreeding - Is this dangerous? I've heard that it is very helpful in keeping good traits in a family, I've also heard it can create "messed-up" kits.

Showing:
    ~How can I prepare my Buck? - I have decided to have my Buck be my shower. He has very good lines and traits. Any way I can make sure he is ready for the show table?

-Greg

2. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Ok, well, I think a 1/4 cup would do for animals that have unlimited access to hay, but I stand by what she says about the lactating does having free access to feed.
    And yes, free access to hay is great, as long as it's not alfalfa (quite fattening). Gives them something to do and keeps them nice and full, plus I believe it's an essential part of the diet. After all, wild rabbits live off grass :)

http://www.geocities.com/hollandstandard/ an illustrated standard of perfection. It is excellent, I suggest you bookmark it. Should help you get a good idea of your ideal Holland, and what you're aiming for. I believe that the Holland Lop Rabbit Specialty club has some articles on culling, you may want to check them out http://www.hlrsc.com/

Again, the HLRSC will have some articles on showing and preparing for shows.

I suggest letting him out for exercise, it will make him well muscled.

3. Sinenian

Sinenian Well-Known Member

Thank you. I am feeding them Timothy hay, so no need to worry about not letting unlimited hay stop.