Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since holiday threads are starting, I have a question.
Does anyone here have a good recipe for a fruit/nut type cake or bread that would be a good holiday gift? I don't mean the traditional "fruitcake" with candied fruit. I am looking for something that can be baked in a loaf pan, with nuts and real dried fruits, not liquor and those citron type things.

I would like to get some recipes now to try out, before holiday time rolls around.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Would you like the recipe for Cranberry Nut Cake? It uses fresh cranberries and I usually make it in a 13 x 9 pan but you could make smaller cakes in loaf pans.

·
newfieannie
10,724 Posts
I use my regular christmas cake recipes and divide them up into loaf pans. for the ones who don't want all the fruit and extras i make lemon, pear nut, choc.chip cherry and banana, orange date loaf.cherry pound cake,apricot, sour cream,etc. war cake goes over well too. ...Georgia.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Have a recipe that a friend gave me a long time ago.I still make it at Christmas and eveyone loves it.It has Brazilnuts,dates, and marachino cherries and very little cake. You slice it very thin.If you'd like that recipe ,I'll put it on here.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I make pound cake and add different things to it:
dried pineapple, golden raisins and slivered almonds
or
orange zest, dried cranberries, raisins and pecans
or
dried apricots, golden raisins and walnuts

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
I was going to suggest a pound cake with pineapple and english walnuts.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the ideas so far, if you feel like posting the actual recipes, would be glad to see them... I found one possibility on the recipe section here at HT, would like to have some others, that way I can try some out.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Try this Zucchini Bread Recipie
3eggs, 1cupoil, 2 1/2 cupbrown sugar, 3T vanilla, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, 2 cups grated, unpeeled raw zucchini, 3 cups plain flour, 1 cup nuts

combine first 4 ingredients and beat well.Add dry ingredients and blend. Bake in two well greased& floured 9* 5" loaf [email protected] 3235 for 60 - 70 min

This is easy recipie and is so moist and delicous! good luck with it

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
3/4 cup flour,3/4 cup sugar,1/2 teaspoon baking powder,1/2 teaspoon salt,1 jar drained maraschino cherries(1 cup),2 pkgs(about 1lb) pitted dates,3 cup shelled Brazil nuts(1 lb),3 eggs,1 teaspoon vanilla. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.Grease,then line with waxed paper, a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.Stir together the first 4 ingredients.In large bowl, place nuts,dates,and cherries.Stir flour mix into fruit and mix with hands until well coated.Beat eggs until foamy,add vanilla, sir into nut-fruit mixture until well mixed.Spread in pan evenly.Bake until done(about 1hour 45 minutes).Cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes.Remove from pan;peel off paper and cool completely on rack.Wrap in foil and store in refrigerator.Slice thinly to serve.

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
I make Santa Lucia bread from an old McCalls (IIRC) cook book recipe:

1 &1/4 c milk heated to scald, add 1/2-3/4 tsp saffron threads

add 1/2 c butter and 1/2 c sugar, let cool to 110 F or lower. ETA Don't forget yeast!! Add 2 pkg or 2 tsp dry yeast to lukewarm mixture, then -->

Stir in 3 c regular flour, 2 eggs, about 1 cup chopped almonds, 1 or more cups raisins. Add enough flour (2-4 c more) so dough no longer sticky, knead, let rise once.

Punch down then shape into 2 challah like braids (easiest) then paint with egg yolk glaze and bake 400F 15 min then 350 F until done (sorry it changes in each new oven for me, maybe 40 min more but keep checking)
Or else make lucia cats (buns) by rolling out flat, cutting to make about 50 fat worms (roll strips into round worms) 1/2" thick and 6-8" long take two, cross them, roll 4 ends up into curls and if you want tuck another raisin in each curl (Swedish bakeries just have half of this- one worm with ends curled into convuluted S shape instead of swirly swastika), paint with egg glaze, bake 400 F 20 min or so.

I like this recipe so much I make it in my bread machine very few months during year for DH and I- kids don't like raisins or nuts in bread. Beautiful yellow from the saffron and the egg.

egg glaze beat egg yolk (or whole egg) with some water and paint on pastry with brush

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.