Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are putting up a new steel building. Missed the studs a few (ok more than a few) times with the screws. How best do we fix the holes in the steel panels from where the screws were?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We just removed from an estate and rebuilt a 24 x 30 carport. It was put up on dirt where we removed it from. Even though we marked every piece when we took it down, it did not fit back together perfectly when we put it up. Maybe because we put it up in concrete...maybe because we just aren't quite that good. We did exactly what Alice in TX/MO said on the holes that weren't aligned. We found the closest matching color of Silicone we could and filled them. No leaks so far.

·
Super Moderator
14,223 Posts
Posted 8/5/22 12:42 A.M. CDST

We are putting up a new steel building. Missed the studs a few (ok more than a few) times with the screws. How best do we fix the holes in the steel panels from where the screws were?
When we missed studs on my tow guy''s wrecker maintenance shop , he just left the water sealer screw in and put one in the right place. For the body part rip low holes, he wrapped the screw on the inside with electrical tape so nobody got stabbed or ripped. Filled the holes on missed stud holes and looked normal and was water sealed for the life of the metal easy peasy.

Reactions: Pony

·
Premium Member
24,428 Posts
Caveat: If you have goats, they like to nibble at things like silicone sealer.

How those goofy goats were able to pull the silicone plugs out of the holes is beyond me, but they are determined creatures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've used plugs like these with a small smear of silicone on the backside. But it would depend on the hole size. Some wouldnt seal the 100% . For those I just dabbed the silicone on a little thicker. I hated seeing dabs of silicone all over the panels. And a screw just left in the hole will leak whether it has a gasket or not. The screw with a gasket needs compression to make it water tight. No backer, no compression

·
Premium Member
33,767 Posts
I've used plugs like these with a small smear of silicone on the backside. But it would depend on the hole size. Some wouldnt seal the 100% . For those I just dabbed the silicone on a little thicker. I hated seeing dabs of silicone all over the panels. And a screw just left in the hole will leak whether it has a gasket or not. The screw with a gasket needs compression to make it water tight. No backer, no compression
Thank you for joining to pass along this info and your experience with the product.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Grin in the past I have used a combination of both methods, silicone on the screw threads and re insert the screw into the screw hole.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
The only correct fix is to replace the panels, as they are now damaged.
Just leave color matched screws in the holes or infill them with color matched pop rivets and a finger dab of silicone.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you ever need to repaint or if it needs painting anyway ... you can fix them with a MIG welder. Have someone on the other side hold a copper plate againt the hole, and a quick spot with the welder will fill it right in. Then sand and paint and it is like new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts