Holes from??????

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by allenslabs, Jun 14, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I'm gettin small holes in my cabbage and brocoli blants and some on my green beans. Any ideas? I've been on my chickens as they like to get in there but I send a kid out w/ a broom and that works. Should I sprinkle 7 dust or what do I do? Thanks! Thought about hanging walmart bags on my beans and tomatoes to scare off any birds.

2. allenslabs

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

If you're only getting 'small' holes in cabbage and broccoli, I'd say the chickens have done a fine job of keeping the cabbage loopers at bay!

Look for green caterpillars on those. White butterflies lay eggs under the leaves. Look for the tiny yellowish eggs, and smash them. The beans are possibly flea beetles. Check under the leaves for those.

I can't recommend sevin dust, as I don't use chemicals on food I plan on eating. Maybe someone else can tell you about that. I just handpick.

Good Luck,
    Meg

4. allenslabs

Well other than sevin dust what is there that I can use other than letting it go to whatever is doing it? Thanks!

5. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Tiny round holes? Lots of them? Maybe flea beetles. Kill, kill, kill.
    Still working on exactly how to do that without poison.

6. allenslabs

I saw AN aphid today on my pole beans. Maybe they're the culprits but this is the first I'm I've seen anything. Not a fan of poison myself but ya know..... I need to do something otherwise I have worked out there so I can just attract bugs and feed them all summer...... UGH!! Gotta think of something..... maybe I can find some sstuff online.

7. rj_in_MA

rj_in_MA Well-Known Member

I second the flea beetles. I have them pretty bad this year. They're tough to see, so crouch down near the plant in question and look for little black specks that dissappear when you move your hand near them.
    I'm trying a rotenone spray to see if that helps. Only just started, so I can't say anything about results yet.
    -rj

8. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

I am having the exact problem. The book I have says it is probably cabbage worms as they prey on the cole crops. My brussels sprouts, broccoli and collards are all being turned into swiss cheese! I am going to dust with diatomaceous earth and hopefully that will kill them.

9. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

If the holes are very small, it's probably flea beetles. The insects are so small, they are almost microscopic. If you don't want to use rotenone or pyrethrum, plant a "trap" crop such as radish or tyfon.