Holding a pig for castration (Thumper, GrannieD, GeorgeK)

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Laura Workman, May 17, 2005.

1. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Hi folks, some of you have said you castrate pb pigs by yourselves. My sweet husband has no stomach for this type of thing, so I'm on my own. Do you have any suggestions as to how to hold the little guys still while I'm slicing away?

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Unless you have two pairs of hands, no. As these are pb I assume you are castrating them to make better pets? When castrating they need to be held in such a way that when the person applying the blade or knife dosn't cut the ham string because the pig wiggled at the wrong time. :no: Wait until there is somebody to give you a hand.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

As Ronney stated you need an assistant. I have never seen a pig hurt from the actual castration but I have seen pigs die from being held (squeezed) incorrectly. Get something to use as a table that is waist high. A barrel works fine. The person that holds the pig should have the pig's head toward him and the pig is to be on its back. The holders left hand is to have the pig's left front foot held between the thumb and forefinger. The pig's left rear foot is held between the fore finger and the middle finger of the holder. Repeat the same holding pattern for the right side. In holding the pig in this manner the rear of the pig is pulled forward and the area to be cut is readily exposed and projected. With a sharp instrument make a vertical slice starting low enough so that when the pig is standing the cut will drain. You do not want to create a puss pocket! Extract the testicle and pull the cord free. Repeat and you are finished. I usually spray some wound coating on but it is not necessary unless it is fly season.

4. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

Yep, you need someone to hold the pig by his hind legs and up in the air. I have cut larger hogs around 70 lbs by putting some feed in a 30 gallon container and then tipping the container up on its end leaving the pigs butt sticking out the end. I then proceeded to cut the pig by myself. Really worked slick.

5. TabletopHomestead

TabletopHomestead Well-Known Member

Maybe not. I know lots of folks who eat pots.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I only castrate at butchering time. They tend not to move after being eviscerated. But If I was going to try to do that by myself I'd make a sling like the old pictures of storks carrying babies, so its feet are off the ground and they cant get anything to push against. From what I've read the problem most people make is they dont cut fast and deep. If you cut into the testicle...what's the harm, it's coming out anyway

7. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

After struggling to hold pigs for castrating, and being unable to do it alone, I broke down and bought a "comfort castrator" from Nasco. One of the best farm purchases I've ever made.

8. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Horace,
    That is a neat little contraption you found there,
    would you do me one favor & tell me what angle that is bent at , it looks to be more then 45 degree's but far less then 90 degree's & if i can get the correct angle i can easily make one of those with a piece of heavy guage mesh i have laying around here.
    nothing more then that & acouple steel rods & a person can easily make one for themselves. thanks for posting what you had, i didnt know they made such a thing,
    anyone who wants to view that "comfort castrator" can do so at this link.
    thanks
    Rick

http://www.enasco.com/prod/ProductDetail?sku=C13187N&title=

9. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

ok, explain please? i have always been told that pb pigs are different, and that if you cut them in the "traditional" way (meaning at home) they often herniate. some people that have posted on here, have verified that this happened to their pigs.

is this, or is it not true? i had my male done at a vets, but he was also badly inbred, and had cryptorchidism, so they had to be removed surgically.

if georgek waits until butchering, it's no wonder he hasn't had a problem LOL!!

10. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The hernia problem is a result of the holding or improper squeezing. The method I elaborated on above is the proper one for holding a pig for castration but it does require 2 people.

11. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I agree Agmantoo. The pot belly isn't made up any differently to a Duroc, Kune or any other breed of pig. It's incorrect castration that causes the after problems. But then I don't castrate any of my pigs and therefore have no problems :)

Cheers,
    Ronnie

12. lizmont2000

lizmont2000 Active Member

We just bought 3 weanlings (10 weeks old), one of which was an uncut male.
    We used the 2-person method my dh grew up using on the farm in Iowa:

Lay the piglet on its side, the "holder" holds the front leg back and the back leg pulled frontward with the knee on the piglets neck/shoulder area--not so hard to cut off air (if it is squealing, it is beathing), but hard enough to prevent movement. The 2 legs it is laying on are essentially useless because it cannot get any leverage to move or get away.

The "cutter" grabs the testes, slits one open with a new,sharp scalpel, the testicle pops out, cut it off and do the other one. This takes about 30 seconds.
    It is fly season here so we sprayed purple wound spray on each incision before letting him up.

Within 5 minutes he was running around with his sisters like nothing had happened, and within 24 hours there was no sign of an incision on him.

We recommend doing them as early/young as possible if you are going to do it yourself.
    Hope this helps!

13. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

Well, as near as I can tell in poor light and without glasses, the angle is between 65 and 70 degrees.