hogs for clearing brush???

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by dave85, Feb 26, 2005.

1. dave85

dave85 dave85

I was reading a book where a guy electric fenced some brushy areas and turned in feeder pigs. and they clened it up to where he could sow it. Like the "pig tractor" post.
    Has anyone done this in actuality?
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. BDB

BDB BDB

yup it works good Dave i have some small pastures filled with brush and small trees i cut the trees down and when the pigs rooted up the ground some i jab holes around the roots and stick apples and treats in the holes they root the stumps up had a lot a junipers in there to the pigs tear them out easy they have shallow roots i did not have to electric fence it have stone walls around pasture the loose rocks they uproot i just stack em on the walls give it a try goodluck BDB

3. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Yes I have done it also and it works a treat. I had used hog panels to contain them, put last year I used 2 strands of polywire and that kept them in, but you really have to make sure they don't throw things into and onto the fence, because they will!! Pigs will clear an area really well in no time, try it, you will like the results.

Carol K

4. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Hey BDB

What size stumps were they rooting up? And what species of tree?

5. dave85

dave85 dave85

How big wre the pigs?

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

If you have a stable that has bedding and manure caked and is impossible to fork out you can place a pig in the stable and in nearly no time the pig will have loosened the material to where it is easily removed.

7. BDB

BDB BDB

the trees where 6" to 8" maples cedars and apples the pigs are yorkshires around 220 250 lbs. i only have one gilt left now ate the other ones just AI the gilt a few weeks no need for a boar for one pig these pigs root up some big rocks to rocks i cant even pick up

8. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

10 - 4 on that! I was amazed at how powerful these animals are when I raised my first herd... 6-8" huh? hmmmmmmm..... Think I'll move some fences and get some more pigs!

9. arnoldw

arnoldw Well-Known Member

Ive just finished fencing 5 acres that was horse pasture. It was partially wet and ended up full of snakes last year and the horses avoided it. It is now wooded and over grown. By the end of the summer it will be clear free of snakes again and will replaint grass for the horses. Also the hogs will be ready for butchering. Yes folks hogs love to eat snakes.
    Arnoldw