Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The house next door just sold to a family that has a handful of animals--including two hogs. I've never been around pigs or hogs and so I wasn't at all concerned until reading some articles tonight about pig farms and odors. . . Our properties are situated pretty close to one another, so now I'm a little worried. Should I be concerned?

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I rented the house on a on a 100 acre, 400 hog farm.. .They were indoor hogs.. Yep, we smelled them.. but after a while you just don't notice so much... They were better neighbors than I had in town.. ..

That's not the same as outdoor hogs.. they still smell, but the amount of smell depends on how they are kept, how often moved... etc..

I'd not be worried about it.. I'd get to know them and be good friends so that when the BBQ starts, you know you got a place at their table..

That's what bein' neighbors is about..

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
Ya two hogs are nothing, just right for a pig roast sometime. LOL
Now if you were me I have within 1/4 mile a HOG Operation coming.
THAT is what I thought you were talking about not a couple of piggies.
That hog barn in Nov. will be filled with 5800 Sows.
Now THAT is a Hog Barn.

·
Registered
271 Posts
With just two hogs I couldn't see it becoming a problem. Even if they were not well taken care of the smell wouldn't be that bad. There is a big difference between a few hogs and a commercial hog farm. My neighbor had a hog lot about a thousand feet from my house. He never rotated he just left them in the pen. He had three or four adults and a couple dozen piglets. Never smelled them, really didn't smell them right up by them.

There is a commercial farm that i occasionally drive by and I will smell it a mile or so before and after I pass depending on wind conditions. I truly feel sorry for the neighbors.

·
Premium Member
8,357 Posts
Which way does the wind blow? How will they feed them? That will have some bearing on the situation. If the wind blows your way, you could have a slight problem once in a while. If they are fed ground corn, the spillage could ferment and make an odor, especially in the hotter days of Summer. Just depends on how they raise them, and how they clean up after them, and which way the wind blows. Any other animals in that small a quantity could make an equal odor. BUT, it is the country, and that's where animals are raised.............................

You could counteract it by planting: lilacs, roses, mock orange.......

:)

geo

Edited to add:, I didn't make the thumbs down sign, and I don't know how to remove it.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
It's the smell of bacon. Early form though.

We have two pigs but they are kept downwind and unless I'm right beside their area I don't really smell them. Now on the few days it got super got this summer I did gag a bit once or twice but I was right there. Like way too close for comfort. If it wasn't for running extra goat milk into bacon I'd skip the hog raising thing...but you'd have to be living right on top of them for their smell to bother you much.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
The house next door just sold to a family that has a handful of animals--including two hogs. I've never been around pigs or hogs and so I wasn't at all concerned until reading some articles tonight about pig farms and odors. . . Our properties are situated pretty close to one another, so now I'm a little worried. Should I be concerned?
No. Two hogs shouldn't be a problem. 200 hogs shouldn't be a problem. 2,000 hogs shouldn't be a problem with proper managed rotational grazing.

We have about 400 pigs out on pasture along with around 300 to 500 chickens plus additional ducks, geese, children and sheep most years. Not a problem. Not a concern.

If you are worried, offer to buy up the property at 3x the value. If they won't sell then move somewhere else and buy up all the land around you so you have a buffer zone to suit your desires.

Alternatively, welcome to the neighborhood and get to know them. But I would not be worried about a mere two pigs. Pigs make good neighbors.

-Walter

·
Registered
503 Posts
My neighbors got in a couple of pigs. Not eating pigs, pet ones. My immediate thought was. :umno: :hair :nono:

But they turned out to be tremendously entertaining and you really couldn't smell them at all.

It was a little sad when they left.

·
Formerly famous
4,216 Posts
Hogs can be good out getting out of their fences so hopefully your neighbors will fence them well and you have solid fence between you. Otherwise I wouldn't be worried about them. We feed out a couple every year and they are on grass so you can't smell them at all. They can be a little noisy when they are waiting for their morning feed but otherwise you wouldn't know they are there.

·
Premium Member
5,752 Posts
I got bad pig neighbors, they got the first name FERAL, those you can worry about.

Reactions: BlueRose
1 - 20 of 34 Posts