hog waterer

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by tracydeena, Mar 16, 2005.

1. tracydeena

tracydeena Member

could someone please tell me how those hog nipple waterers work and are installed?

2. dla

dla Well-Known Member

do you mean the little bowl with the flexible bar in the middle?
    are you hooking up to a tank or directly to a hose line/water line?

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The nipple water is a simple device that has a spring mounted "plunger" that is seated against an orific inside the housing. The animal bites on the nipple and that action unseats the plunger and water flows into the animals mouth. When the animal releases the bite, the plunger spring forces the device back into its original position and shuts the water off.

4. tracydeena

tracydeena Member

This can work on gravit or a hose line? Do the pigs really use it?

5. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

I put 3 nipples in a 55 gallon plastic drum last year, and my pigs used it just fine. My only mistake was to put the drum in the pen, and they would knock it over if it got less than half full. I will try a different approach this year, with the drum outside the pen, and the nipples on a pipe inside the pen.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The nipples will work with either a pressurized or gravity supply. Yes, the waters will be used. You may want to install the units over a gravel base as there is some minor waste of water and it will avoid a mess or mud hole. On large hogs you may need to reenforce the mount as the large hogs are destructive and will eventually break the water feed line. All nipple waters look similar but do not function equally. As for a recommendation, ask someone that is currently using this type waterer. I cannot remember the brand I last used but I will try to do some checking.
    Here you are..... stingy brand http://www.hogslat.biz/565781.html

7. tracydeena

tracydeena Member

Thanks