Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
de oppresso liber
16,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m hoping someone here can help me with a couple of hog trapping problems. I’d like to build a wild hog trap but I want to build in such a way to be fairly size specific. I want to only catch hogs about 100# or so, that way I can pen it for a while before butchering it.

Problem #1. How to build such a trap. I have seen several traps online but most of them are catch all traps using fence panels or such. My thought was to weld a frame then use vertical bars to let the smaller pigs out and a small door to keep the big ones out. But how close together would the bars need to be? I’ve never measured the width of a hog.

Problem #2. How to set/place a trap. I’ve never dealt with wild hogs so I have no idea how to trap them. I know they are around here, I have one in a pen my neighbor gave to me after catching it as a piglet while it was trying to get into the pen with his two pitbulls (probably not the smartest pig in the world) and I have seen them along the road side. I have 17 acres which is 90% wooded and there are many acres of tree farms and other wooded areas around me. So how do I get the hogs to come to my little spot to eat? What’s the best bait?

Oh yeah, just to let you know I’m in southern, coastal GA. If that makes any difference on the answers.

·
Haney Family Sawmill
1,224 Posts
Start baiting with Corn and potatos
Worn on the out side and leave. they will bust the gate and escape but when your not there.hen you have ativity set the trap.
catch everything but have a second trap area off the first with a smaller hole.
When you have hogs run the smaller ones in the smaller hole with food. Tie the outside gate with the bigger ones with a grass string and put c

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.