Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lands, this is the most exciting hunting I have ever done in my life. Me and two buddies traveled to Florida by plane.. Not a big deal to transport firearms if done according to their rules.
I tried to take some photos of the hogs out in the wild.. But It was pretty overcast early in the am. Not to mention 29 degrees in Florida.. Sheesh what a wonderful way for the south to treat the northeners.
I had several hogs walk though my stand area.I had a nice long shooting area of approx. 100 yards but since I was old school iron sights 45/70 I was hoping for something to come a little closer say 30-70 yards. I saw close to 12 hogs out of range, then about an hour later here came in 3, The white one came out into the clearing and nibbled on some corn placed for us.He was very cautious.He saw me in the stand and kept eating and looking up at me.I was trying to take his picture. But it was just too shadowed for a good photo. So I set down the camera and raised the Marlin 1895 lever gun. and took aim.I hit him a little high in the spine. I basically left him with front wheel drive only and laying on his side. He was a squealing like deliverance. I climbed down and jacked another round in. and walked towards him.He was not happy with me needless to say. If he could have walked my grits would have been grass. I dewlivered another round to the skull and he died instantly. He had some nice tuskers although not a huge hog. But hey. it was my first. I am ready to do it again. Most adrenalin I have had flowing in ages.
The guide service charged us a fee of 40 dollars to skin and quarter the hogs and we offered up a little extra if they would de bone. and we had three hogs to haul back to Indiana in a Neon, along with three grown men.
The hunt fee was 150 for the day hunt, and 50 for the meat cutting.I tipped the guy 25 and so did the other hunters sin my party.Money well spent.The guide wanted to make sure we all got hogs.One of my buddies missed 3 with his 30/30 so we ended up taking him another gun.. His scoped got knocked off evidently in the shipping.(I realize now we should have arrived sooner to have time for a few test rounds.the day before.)But the other guys 357 maxum was spot on and he managed to kill a nice sized sow late in the day.
The rattle snake was a road kill the guys found down there that day Almost 6 feet long.Glad I did not meet him in the woods.
http://www.pbase.com/ericjeeper/hog_hunting

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I've hunted them in Texas several times and always had a blast. I think a friend has found a place to hunt all we want for free in Oklahoma if I can make it down there. $40 to skin and quarter is a great price.

That is way too much snake. A big one around here is almost 4 feet and most are under 3.

Was the 357 Maxi a rifle or pistol? I've used both and like that round in a carbine alot.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Enjoyed the pics! The meat processing facilities will have a little difficulty passing USDA. I will pass on the sausage but I too would like to go hog hunting.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ed the 357 Maxi is a rifle contender.
As to the processing facility. Everything was bleached down. I have no worries. Probably cleaner than some of the store bought meat processing facilities.
regarding the 40 bucks.. can you imagine trying to fit 3 whole hogs plus 3 mens luggage and gun cases in a Neon?LOL

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Looks like yall had a fine time down in FL. That diamond back is about average for a grown one in the south, however it was a bit on the thin side even though it had pretty good length. I don't kill them anymore, not even when I see one crossing a roadway. Some folks get the heebie jeebies about a rattlesnake, but the Cane Brake and the Diamond Back just want to be left alone and 99.9% of the time they will mosey on their way unless you get right on top of them. Their downfall is they won't turn tail and outright run away, which gives passerbys a moment to gain enough courage to mount an attack. On the other hand, beware when down south and in moccasin country.

A cotton mouth will search you out in order to remove you from his territory and he's not afraid of you. A truely nasty adversary. A Copperhead is usually shy and will leave you alone, just don't get on top of him. If that diamond back had been a fresh kill, it would be some good eating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts