Hog Heads

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Dec 30, 2004.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Talking about all this good eating.How many remember going to the Butcher Shop seeing Hog Heads hanging. :eek: :haha:

Reminds me I haven't had a Brain Sandwich in a long time.

big rockpile

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

My Dad always made headcheese when we butchered. Kinda like pig flavored jello......

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

When I was in college, there was a restaurant that had a specialty for brain sandwich. Maybe we ate it thinking it would make us smarter, but I won't consume any animal product now that has any brain or spinal cord matter because of possibilities about spongiform prions that could give you Jacob Creitzfield disease. If animals are fed ofal or brain products of other animals, there is no assurace which species that is butchered won't have it in the brain tissue including porcine, caprine, or bovine.

4. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

You are supposed ta make tamales from hogs heads don'tcha know...

5. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

Rockpile,

People still make headcheese and blood pudding and all that in our area when they butcher. It's sold at the local grocery, too. Intestines are stuffed with sausage. None of those chitlins for us German Catholic folks. We dance in hog troughs at weddings, too.

Some friends of ours went to a Laotian wedding. Those folks eat chicken guts. Now, that is gross.

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Colonel Sanders sells chicken guts, deep fried. They sell better if you call them livers and gizzards.

7. jejabean

jejabean Well-Known Member

My husband made homemade chicharrones from pigs heads...the best ever! If anyone has the authentic Hispanic way to do it, please send me the recipe...even if it is minus the pig's head, which I could do without seeing, myself.

8. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

My FIl makes the head cheese and I admit it's good stuff........I can butcher and process hogs by myself, but cooking the head really turns me off. :eek:

I also have to remove the eyeballs from the ones we cook whole on the pit or smoker. They blow up! :)