Hog feeders

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by mikehampraiser, Apr 8, 2006.

1. mikehampraiser

mikehampraiser New Member

has anybody here ever made a easy adjust wood hog feeder or does anybody have one for sale around the northeast iowa area. It would really help my old one just broke and I cant find one around here in good shape. Thanks mike

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

3. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

4. mikehampraiser

mikehampraiser New Member

about time do you have the plans to build that feeder it looks easy to build thanks.

5. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Just be careful with the size of the door openings. Our last 2 groups of pigs had heads too big to fit into the metal feeders that we had. They ended up dismantling our feeder after they cut their noses all up. we couldn't figure out why they were so agitated about food. When I took some extra time and watched they couldn't get far enough into the feeder to reach the food without destroying it or their heads. We ended up feeding out of flat flexible pans. Major hassle!

6. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

Mike-there were not specific plans in Storey's book, just a pic, but if you want I could make a drawing for you-I don't have a scanner, but could fax it to you if you want to send me a PM with your #.

As to the pigs outgrowing the doors, I know mine will, but figured I'd take the dividers and doors off at that point and convert to a trough feeder.

7. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

I've given up on feeders. I just feed on the ground, and rotate the spot regularly. Less fighting over the food, and the pigs clean the ground up perfectly. If they are getting lazy about cleaning up, I hold back the food for a half day or day. After that a bird couldn't find a bite! Pigs eat dirt even when you don't feed on the ground. I figure it can't hurt them.

Pete

8. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

I have bought 4 hog feeders, all used, all in NE Iowa while visiting family. I have never paid over $50. The one that was $50 is a 12 hole unit with doors and in good shape.

Drive around. You will see them all over. Ask if they would sell, and ask what they want. They will ask less than you would consider offering.