Hog Farming anyone?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Jan 10, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Just was looking around www.unitedcountry.com and saw this
    So is anyone interested in hog farming? Might be up your alley.

Edited to fix link (had wrong "land" on the link, fixed now I think)

[​IMG]

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I assure you that I know what I am stating here from past experience! Before anyone goes into the hog business they need to volunteer to work in a hog operation prior to investing any money in their own venture. Hogs require a major commitment in money and time if you are going to get into the "business" on a scale that will render an income. Hog manure stinks. You will stink when you attend to the hogs. I am not referencing a small operation so do not get excited! It takes a major dedication to work hogs 7/365. Just be forwarned! Been there, done that one! :)

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Yes, that is true. I just fixed the link too... and added a picture. I figure it must be awrful hard to pull a profit if you are leaving all this equiptment there... pretty amazing.

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Guy in the local area has a small-scale operation and sells all of his production at better than local retail as salt cured hams, bacon sides and sausage. You have to order about six months in advance. Word-of-mouth advertising only. Says he makes significantly more now then when he ran a commercial operation. Think small and nitch market.

Ken Scharabok

5. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

around here, all the small farmers are going bust, they cannot compete with the menonites with the "maschoff's" progressive farming. the only way I see making a profit is volume, lots of hogs.

...they go out by the semi loads!