Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
10,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2 hogs being home processed.
The hogs are currently in a separate building
The building is unheated but has a wood stove in it.
The temp has dropped to below freezing.
The temp is 24
and te temp it expected to go lower.
The meat is freezing.
We had wanted to bone out the meat
with it frozen this is not an option.

Should we add heat to the building?
If the heat was added and kept below 40 would that be fine?
How would you handle this?

the goal was to cure the meat for smoking.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
I know nothing about smoking meat but I do know about curing meat. You cannot cure frozen meat. The seasoning needs to applied and allowed to soak into the meat. When doing a cure under natural conditions (no refrigeration) it is best done when the nights are cool and down to near freezing and the daytime in the 40's to low 50's F and these conditions need to prevail for 4 or 5 days. I would try to replicate these temperatures by creating heat in the area the pork is stored. If you cannot get the temps for this duration you could "pump" the cure (using a syringe) into the meat and hold the temp above freezing. In doing this the cure will reach the areas near the bone where spoilage typically occurs. good luck.

·
Banned
10,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, The building is holding at 38 to 40.
And Thank for the well help a bit ago.

My old time books are saying to cure for 35 to 40 days. we are in day 4 for one hog and day 2 for the second. This is a try to keep meat with out ref.
This building is very insulatated and does hold temp very well (20 hours varies 10 degrees) This is a working learning trial for us.

I will take all tips. one hog boned one not.

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
I would think that freezing temperatures would only delay the curing process. I would mainly be concerned the temperatures doesn't exceed 41 degrees.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts