Hoegger's Wormer

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Timberline, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Timberline

Timberline Keeper of the Cow

Anyone here use Hoegger's Golden Blend Wormer? I am just starting my three goats on it. I have been mixing in a bit of sweet feed and two of them eat it just fine. The other won't touch it. I have tried mixing the wormer into moleasses, apples and raisins, etc., and she will have nothing to do with it. I don't want to use a wormer requiring milk withdrawl, so am hoping I can get her to eat it.
    Any ideas or suggestions? :shrug:
    Thanks

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

1st, the stuff tastes HORRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIBLEEEEEEEEEE. Trust me, I've accidentally tasted some. That's why most goats do NOT like the taste of the wormer, no matter that Hoegger states that most eat it right up. Hah.

2nd, if your goats won't eat it right in it's powdered form, you have to struggle to find a way that they will eat it. And once they figure out what you're giving them, they stop eating it and you have to think of something else. I ended up having to spend like an hour filling syringes with a mix of mollasses and the wormer, then trying to drench them with the full dose. What a struggle! You can also make little pellets the shape of thier grain (I tried just one big bolus of mollasses and wormer, but they wouldn't touch it so I had to make teeny grain sized peices of wormer pellets) and that takes FOREVER. Mine woudln't take bread if I spread it with the mollasses/wormer... IT's just a hassle.

3rd, the wormer tastes so bad that personally, I am iffy about giving it to my dairy does. I think I will TRY to, and see if it really does alter the taste.

4th, it is not a wormer, it is a preventative. You'll still have to have ivermectin or whatever you use on hand.

5th, it is NOT safe to give to give it to the goats on the schedule they reccomend and not safe to give to pregnant animals. Pregnant women are highly advised not to take Wormwood, the main ingredient in this wormer. Why is it any different for goats? Because since it is natural and not a chemical, they legally do not have to do tests to see if it is 1. Safe for pregnant goats and 2. even if it is not safe, they don't have to tell you. Also, at the weekly dosage, wormwood is very bad for goats. I belive it has something to do with the nervous system or something? Not sure. But I read it on Fiasco farm's herb shop thing, so I trust the info.

However, if your goats will eat it easily, and you don't use the schedule they supply for worming them, I guess it is an effecient wormer. I'm going to try it again, I think, to see if it really works. Except this time, I'm going to change the feeding schedule and I'm going to get the gelatin capsule thingies from PBS animal supply to use with the wormer. i think they will work good for getting them to eat them, because you can slather the outside with mollasses and they can't smell or taste the wormer till it's too late. Hehe.

3. Timberline

Timberline Keeper of the Cow

Thanks for the info. What do you use on your preg, lactating does? Or wait until they're dry or ??
    The two that are eating it are open 9 month old does. The one that won't touch it was bred on Thanksgiving and is being milked.
    Thanks again.

4. Caprice Acres

I'll be using ivermectin. I'll be having my two first dairy does kidding, so I'm relitively new to this, myself. But I don't think I'd want them eating the hoegger wormer. Go ahead, taste some. It'll be VERY close to the top of the 'most disgusting thing you've ever tasted' list. UG! LOL With the ivermectin, you worm once in a while and loose relitively small amounts of milk, as compared to the hoegger, which you give more often, and they may continually produce off flavor milk... I'd hate milk that tasted like that wormer... ewww! LOL

Good luck, and I hope someone with more info and experience chimes in, to add to this convo... I'm interested to hear what people have to say on this too!

5. christij

christij Well-Known Member

Yikes -- I have bben using on my two PG girls.............. one is due next month and the other in Feb... should I worry switch them to something else now???

6. Caprice Acres

Well, here's where I found the info. It is the same owner of Fiasco Farm, so I must say I trust the info. Molly's Herbals ~ Wormer

7. jordan

jordan Well-Known Member

I have been using Molly's Herbal Wormer with fabulous results aaaand my goats LOVE it! I mix it with water and give it with a syringe or a spoon (yes, if I'm not fast enough filling the syringe, they will eat it off the spoon!).
    It takes a little longer to mix and feed, but my ND's really think they are getting treats and it gives me the opportunity to be the "good guy"!

For pregnant does you substitute the wormwood formula with the second wormer.

I don't use any chemical wormers (none were working anymore anyway) and the fecals have been clean as a whistle! No cocci either!

Bottom line, they look fabulous too!

8. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

So do a lot of things goats love though! Ever eaten a pine needle?

9. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

yah the goats like this probios I have and YUCK!

Anway anyone know the dosage - per so many pounds - for Ivermectin horsewormer paste? Is it something like 3xs the horse dosage? Say I have a 50lb goat how many ccs would you give?

10. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I started using it about a month ago. I am impressed with the results so far. Two of my milkers were obviously loaded with worms, tapeworms specifically. I really did not want to lose any milk since I am only milking a few this time of year and my customers are already screaming. They all look really good. One of them had such ribs showing, not anymore. I had given them Panacure but it did nothing for the tapes. I will continue thru the winter and see what happens come spring. As for eating it , some gobble up what ever is in their feed bowl. Others seem to enjoy a fig newton that has been all mushed up with the wormer.
    Steff

11. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

Stacey the horse paste is almost 2% ivomec where the injectable is 1% so I go by the actual weight marks on the tube cause it is already double the ivomec.

12. ~PrairieGirl~

~PrairieGirl~ Well-Known Member

I use the molly's and my goats won't eat it straight either. I put my herbal wormer in the food processer with a ripe banana untill it balls up and then make them into smaller balls for the goats, they love it!

13. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

14. Caprice Acres

Have YOU ever tasted that wormer, lol? It makes the pine needles taste GOOD. Makes you want to cut your tounge off, hehe. And yes, sadly, I have tasted pine needles... haha.

15. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Me too, LOL. I haven't taken their wormer, but I've taken many bitter and nasty tasting herbs, so I bet I can imagine.

16. Rainbeau777

Rainbeau777 Active Member

I had a goat develop what the vet diagnosed at "emphysema" about 2 months after starting the Hoeggar herbal wormer and tonic. Has anyone else had this happen to them? She does not have pneumonia, worms, or anything like that, but she sounds AWFUL and really struggles to breathe when it is real cold. I have been keeping her in the barn and out of the wind. The vet says it was from allergies, and very possibly from the Hoeggar's wormer. Watch out for that stuff. My doe is young.