hoegger's herbal wormer.....ERRRR!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

As i said in an earlier post, I had ordered the 2lbs of herbal wormer.... and the goats hate it. I have tried everything, and to no avail. lately I've been mixing it with molasses and giving a kind of drench, but all i have to use is teeny 3cc syringes!! It takes like three syringes per goat, and it is such a hassle. The discription of the wormer makes it seem like the goats like to eat it. that is totally misdirecting. if i had known they wouldnt like it, i would have gotten the drench syringe at the same time. i like the idea of it being natural and not a chemical, and still want to use it. idk what im gonna do, but i wrote to hoegger, and hope they reply soon.

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i used to use hoeggers wormer. i used to mix it into molasses, then pour it over some feed. they gobbled it up!! you could try making it into a bolus (with the molasses) made of cornmeal. roll it into balls and feed it to them. you can give them individualized doses like that. the wormwood that is in it is unappetizing to goats.

these days it's just easier to worm everybody on the place with ivermectin.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

how do you make the boluses? i have never done that.... it may work, if they like the taste of the cornstarch.... they like to spit out the bread balls i made for them with the wormer and molasses inside. idk.......

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

sorry.:) bolus is just another name for a big pill.

i just take cornmeal and mix the wormer into it, then moisten it with molasses, then roll it up into balls of dough.

it helps if the goats are hungry. in the summer when there is lots of fresh stuff to eat, they turn up their noses at stuff they will gobble down in the winter.

hope it helps!!