Hoegger supply's Herbal wormer

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

has any one tried this? i just bought some, and wondered if i have to alternate it every other year, and how well it works
    thanx

2. lizmont2000

lizmont2000 Active Member

I feed it to our bucks, pigs and cattle. I use Fiasco-Farm's (www.fiascofarm.com ) wormer for pregnant and lactating does, as well as horses. The wormer from Hoegger's has wormwood in it.

We also check out own animal's fecals--they are all clear.

hope this helps!
    Liz

3. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I've been using their herbal wormer for nearly a year and so far no problems....

4. All country

All country Well-Known Member

We've used it for several years now. Our goats are doing great.

5. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

It has worked great for our goats

6. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I also use it but along with other wormers.
    It all depends on how big a worm load you have in your pastures and goat pens.
    I need to get the worm load down in the soil before I will go to just the herbal wormer but I don't have to use the other wormers nearly as often while using it.
    By the way, It won't hurt your pregnant does. They tell you that in the catalog but I happen to know for a fact because my DH did chores for me for some time as I was ill and he thought it was a daily supliment so was putting a tblspoon in everyones feed every night. :no:
    They all did just fine. I noticed that a big jar of the wormer was gone and ask him where it was. He said "I saw you giving some to the goats so I have been giving them some every day". He was so proud of himself too. Scared me half to death!!

7. Caprice Acres

well, i got it in the mail 3 days ago, and they HATE it. they wont touch thier food if its on it, ive tried hiding it in pieces of bread (they could smell it.) and tried getting thier food wet so that it will stick to the pieces. i finally ended up mixing it with water and giving it like a drench, which was really hard to do. how do u guys get ur goats to eat it??

8. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I bought two does, from a very nice family, that is what they used, and the 2 I bought had a terrible worm and parasite over load. It doesn't kill al lthe worms just keeps them at a level, and besides, what ever you are feeding your goats, you are drinking. I prefer not to drink wormer, herbal or not, I will never use it.

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

What species of worms is it lowering for those of you who are using it?

What numbers of worm eggs per gram are you having before you started using it, and what do they stay at now that you have been using it?

Has anyone sent in a milksample for a withdrawal time?

Wormwood, which is abortive in the way it works on the placental lining of the uterus is not a consideration?

I don't use any chemicals or wormers on my pregnant does, yet it's ok with you to use such high levels weekly of herbs that cause such an inhospitapal enviornment WEEKLY in the gut and intestine that worm adults and eggs evacuate? Isn't this really hard on the goats liver? What does it do to your goats rumen? Vicki

10. BamaSuzy

My goats continue to be healthy on the herbal formula and I mix it in their feed....if you're mixing enough that they can taste it you are likely putting too much in there....

11. BamaSuzy

and we don't use it weekly.....we use it monthly....

12. Caprice Acres

let me see....
    so i asked hoegger supply whether it was ok to give this to does milking, pregnant and dry, and they said no withdrawl, and fine for does in all stages. someone said that i was putting too much in thier feed, but i gave the correct dose!! well, it may be because i have pelleted goat food, and the powder falls right off. after i realized that, i got the pellets wet and mixed the powder in, but they wouldnt touch it. what kind of wormer do u all use?? i cant just throw away 2 lbs of herbal wormer so ill just have to use it for however long 2 lbs will last 3 goats. i am gonna have to drench them weekly with the wormer mixture. ugg, they hate me enuff for trimming thier hooves.

13. Starlighthill

Starlighthill Northern Michigan

What dose do you use when using it monthly?
    Starlighthill

14. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

MyGoat: I mix my Hoegger's Herbal Wormer with enough molasses to make a hard, stiff paste. Then I mold it into small pellets. I have to be honest, we haven't used it yet on our goats. My hubby has been doing a fecal on them, and they are pretty much clear. He found only one worm on the whole slide. He will be checking them again this week.
    - Kathy in SC

15. Starlighthill

Starlighthill Northern Michigan

My goats dislike it also so I put it in grain. It is a major production and since only my dairy does have a taste for grain, it is really hard to get the kids and bucks to eat it.
    The helpful folks at Hoegger suggested that I put jelly on little pieces of bread, add the wormer and roll them up. I'll be making little jelly sandwiches for my goats and lambs on Saturday and am hopeful that they will enjoy their little feast.
    Starlighthill

16. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

I dampen my goatfeed (peleted dairy goat ration) with apple cider vinegar then put in the wormer and shake well. They dont seem to have any objections. and the vinegar is good for them.