Hobby Farms Magazine

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nomad, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

I just got an introductory offer for this magazine in the mail. Does anyone subscribe to it or even have heard of it? It sounds interesting. It says there is monthly in depth advice on successfully managing small farms. I'd like some feedback from anyone who might get it before I put out my money.

Thanks,

Nomad

2. ckncrazy

ckncrazy Well-Known Member

I dont subscribe, but if Im at TSC I pick up a copy. I think it has some good articles in it. It is nice to have a farm mag directed at small scale farmers.

JAKE

3. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

I bought an issue of this mag a few months ago because it had some info on pigs...I liked it. It had lots of info, showed real hobby farms and how they were marketing, if they were profitable etc. Lots of ideas. The problem for me was the price per issue, and it was kind of "thin" for the cost.

hth
    Carla

4. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Hobby Farms is one of my favorite mags. It has a lot of good info, ideas, and things. My only beef is the price, but then that might just be me because I have been known to be sort of a tightwad.

5. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with this magazine but will try to get a sample since you all like it....but I hate the name! Anybody that works as hard as we do on our little homstead knows it's not a HOBBY!

6. Nomad

I might spring for it since you folks have given it a good review. The cost is $14.97 for one year (6 issues). Not sure what the cover price is, but the subsciption cost doesn't seem out of line.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nomad

7. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

I subscribed last year because my son was selling mag subscriptions at school. I found it rather 'yuppified' and too slick for my taste. I much prefer the downhome quality and advice in Countryside. I let Hobbyfarm lapse and renewed Countryside for three years. Theresa.

8. Nomad

I subscribe to Countryside, Backwoods Home and Mother Earth News. I was hoping this magazine might have a different angle on things. Guess I'll wait to see more reviews before I decide.

Nomad

9. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

we get hobby farms we still like country better seems to have more in it

10. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

opps sry. country side

11. diamondefarm

diamondefarm Well-Known Member

It is fun to look at. Basically a Yuppie version of Countryside

12. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

Right or wrong I got the idea that it is to "glossy" for my tastes.

but then if you like *pretty* pix's...................

13. mimsmommy

mimsmommy Active Member

I currently have a subscription to hobby farm and have enjoyed it so far. some of the articles are not very practical, or basic, but they are interesting.
    We used to buy Back Home mag everytime we found it in Lowe's or TSC, but since they don;t carry it anymore, i guess it folded. We liked it for it's practicality, and it had more of a magazine format than Countryside--which we also liked. We borrowed those from a friend who already had a subscription. :)

14. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

DH brought one home to me awhile back. It is geared solely for the clueless who just bought their 5 acre tract.

While this magazine had nothing to offer to me and my life, I did appreciate an article advising the readers how to be a good neighbor in the country. This is information seriously lacking for most of the city refugees which makes their transition hell, and often, hell for their new neighbors, too.

15. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

I am just coming to the end of my subscription, and I wont renew it. I enjoyed some of the articles, but like someone else mentioned it is geared towards the Yuppie on 5 acres, the hobby farmer, the country gentleman farmer. Think I about explained it! If you get a good price, try it for a year, that's what I did.

Carol K

16. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

17. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

" It is geared solely for the clueless who just bought their 5 acre tract. "

Gee.. don't mince your words.. clueless and 5 acres.

I happen to enjoy Hobby Farm very much. Have had a subscription for over a year now. I also subscribe to Country Side ( 3 years) and have found it to be getting very repetitive and containing more opinion than fact and helpfull information.

Guess I'll take my "clueless self" over to my new 6 acres.. sorry not 5. Opps did I also mention I have a herd of 80 goats on 14 other acres.

Some folks on this forum seem to love spewing rude nonsensical verbage.

18. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

If you click on vermonthomesteaders, sorry I don't know how to do it, and scroll down to the Peace and Carrots link, and look around and you can find where is subscribe to BackHome magazine.

19. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Oh, now that's real cute. :rolleyes: Well, this person isn't exactly clueless, has been homesteading all of her life, lives on 15 acres, owns another 35 acres, doesn't have time to bother with a list of livestock (although they do make me a nice profit), and has enjoyed the magazine for some time. I did just buy the 35 so I guess you've got me there. :rolleyes:

20. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

My overall synopsis is this:
    Hobby Farms mag is for just that. Hobby farming. I sense that they make the assumption that you have a regular 9-5 somewhere else and do this to make a little extra cash... as long as you have the cash to invest. By this I mean, there are a LOT of articles and ads on alpacas and often other exotics, meaning you need the dough to get started. But, like any hobby, I guess that's fair.

Countryside, on the other hand, is essentially written by the readers, and all ads are pertinent to the subject of the mag. I much prefer this mag, as I enjoy reading other people's views of their real life situations, experiences, and "lessons learned", as opposed to articles written by professional writers who researched a topic, then sold their article to the mag. An added bonus is all the little quotes in the fine print at the top of each page. Love those little words of wisdom! :)