Hobbling Goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Reynard Ridge, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Reynard Ridge

Reynard Ridge Active Member

We are putting in fencing for goats in the spring (high tension, 8-wire electric). However, there are great chunks of property that need to be cleared of nasty stuff that goats would love to eat and we just don't have time to clear. The area is too large to put good goat fencing around (and is also not where we need goats to live).

So, goats will live in area appropriately fenced for goats. BUT, is there any way to stake or hobble the little buggers where they can do us the most good clearing bramble?

Thanks!

2. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

So, goats will live in area appropriately fenced for goats. BUT, is there any way to stake or hobble the little buggers where they can do us the most good clearing bramble?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
    You will not like what happens, nor will the goats..they are unbelievable for tangling around anything available when tied out...I tied our yard goat when we brought her in to milk her for the season,but she was fed there & her milk stand was close ... & there was nothing for her to get tangled on...her kids were a lot of fun til they were ready to go ...I knew a family who had a couple younsters who took their goats out to graze for several hours & then brought them home..fencing is the only way to stay sane & safe...GrannieD

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you stake them, they will get wrapped up in the brush and briars so bad they wouldn't be able to move. If you hobble them they can still go where ever they please. Only thing is it would take them longer to get there if they didn't get fast some where. If you get a group of cattle or combination panels, you can make a little pen by putting steel posts at the ends of the panels. Leave them there until they get it mowed off and move the pen. You could tie them while you are there moving your coral.

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

If you're going to try tying out your goats or hobbling them, be sure you stay close to untangle them before they hang themselves or break one of their legs.

When I need my goats to clear an area that's inconvenient to fence, I just hang out there with them. They won't wander too far if you produce goodies for them at random intervals (ginger snaps work great for this).

5. hoggfan

hoggfan Active Member

cattle panels work great thats what I did just move them when they're done

6. Reynard Ridge

Reynard Ridge Active Member

7. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Depending how large your place is, they will not go far from water, once they know where the "home base" is, and the water tub is, they will make regular trips back to the water, molassis tub, or where ever you are, in the event you might have of treats.

My 6 goats (and 1 sheep) free range over about 20 of our 60 acres.