Hoarding?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by geo in mi, Feb 12, 2018 at 3:06 PM.

1. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

Some time ago, a group of us went to a small town to watch the film about Cuba's efforts to survive after the Soviet pullout, plus to discuss ways of a small town becoming more food independent thru home and backyard gardening. During the discussion, a gov. type city employee--upon hearing someone describe having row after row of filled canning jars on the shelf, and a side of homegrown beef in the freezer, and eggs every morning for breakfast-- blurted out, "Well now, we don't want to encourage hoarding..."

What is your opinion? When does being prepared for a SHTF situation, or getting simply enough stored up for the long winter....become "hoarding"? The old WWII concept was buying one bag too many with your sugar ration stamps, even though you wouldn't use it until maybe summer time for canning. But, a stash of honey off your farm wasn't considered hoarding, just being able to go without sugar like a good citizen.

Where are the definitions today? Thoughts? Would the homesteader today be accused of hoarding?

geo

City Bound and nehimama like this.
  2. Texaspredatorhu

Texaspredatorhu Well-Known Member

I think there’s a fine line between prepper and hoarder, where it falls is a personal opinion I guess.

nehimama likes this.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Last I heard if food was wasted, it was hoarding. That includes food getting wasted because it is old.

Food that is rotated and all eaten is just a pantry, and pantries have been around for thousands of years. Those old-time famers would try to store AT LEAST enough food to last them until the next harvest.

I suspect that the man's real complaint was that the man with rows of home canned food was not sharing.

Wanda, nehimama, Forcast and 6 others like this.
  4. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

The word hoarding has some Bad connotations.
    I think most of those are about somebody taking more than they need and then making others to do without.
    Storing for your needs while there is plenty for everyone hurts no one.
    The other bad connotation of hoarding is having so much that it causes you problems.
    As long as you are between those two extremes I thinking a pantry it’s a good thing.

nehimama likes this.
  5. Sourdough

Sourdough Well-Known Member

I have always found it interesting that when the subject of hoarding comes up, it always is about food and gasoline, etc.. And hoarding is bad and evil. But if I throw out the idea that many of those people who bad-mouth hoarding.......are obsessed with hoarding money, and stocks and bonds and 401K plans, and IRA plans, and getting vested in their pension, and double dipping or even triple dipping in pensions. Their response is...."Well that is just smart".

I then ask, will you share your hoarded money with me.......response, "Well.....hell no, not our problem you did not invest for your financial future". Yet, they feel that if I have three years of food, and they have none, I should share my food and fuel.

Interesting...........

mekasmom, Belfrybat, acabin42 and 9 others like this.
  6. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

In Haiti, after their devastating earthquake, tens of thousands of bags of rice was donated by the US. People were running off with as much as they could get, lots of people went without, while others had it piled to the ceiling. Hundreds of pallets of bottled water were brought in, while locals filled a 500 gallon tank on a truck, from a well just out of town, drove into town and sold water to those with cash. No cash, no water. After Puerto Rico's hurricanes, the US government rushed in to rebuild, but after months, few had electricity. A military group went in and cut locks and discovered most of the power lines and hardware were taken from job sites and hidden in the local utility company's warehouses.
    In Flint, a city of 100,000. there were 250 children found to have elevated lead levels from an unknown/unproven source. A few taps had elevated lead in the water. While the water was just fine to drink in most homes and safe to wash clothes, take baths, shower and toilet use in all homes, for two years, every day semi truck trailers filled with bottled water, were unloaded and handed out to anyone that wanted it, free. People hoarded it and many sold it to folks from out of town.
    I think it is inherent human nature to hoard. Except the Native Americans. Traditionally, they shared all they had and only hunted when hungry. Prior to the arrival of Whites, the leading cause of death of a Native was starvation. That sort of makes the case for hoarding.

7. Hiro

Hiro Well-Known Member

Hoarding is when you accumulate something in short supply in order to profit from it. Saving or investing or planning for a potential future need or shortage is not hoarding.

8. HeavyHauler

HeavyHauler Well-Known Member

Prepping is not hoarding, and hoarding is not prepping.

HDRider, City Bound and nehimama like this.
  9. haypoint

Thanks. I was afraid my 80 year old Aunt with over 1000 glass flower vases, 50 pounds of used bras, 14 wheelbarrows, was a hoarder. Guess not.

10. Hiro

Hiro Well-Known Member

Helpful as usual. Context has meaning....well, to some people.

Irish Pixie, Wanda and nehimama like this.
  11. Redlands Okie

Redlands Okie Well-Known Member

It’s hard to butcher livestock and not have to store some of it. It’s not like you can go get a pound of hamburger or a T bone each day. Same for a garden. Hard to grow food for the winter in the winter. So your bound to have some inventory in stock for later use. Last side of beef I bought was a bit over $3.00 a lb. That’s lean hamburger meat, roasts, steaks, etc all at a darn good price.
    Credit card gets hacked, pay check gets missed, illness disrupts your cash income are all things that can be handled in time. You will get your money back on your card but it’s likely to take a few weeks. Can you feed your family till it’s resolved? Not to mention buying carefully in bulk so as not to waste anything saves money.
    Personally I have to many things I need to do or would prefer to do. No need to go the darn grocery store every few days or every week. Wasted time.

12. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

You say tomato, I say tomato. Prepping and hoarding are the same thing. It all depends if you want to but a negative or positive spin on what you or someone else is doing by storing food and supplies for the future.

happy hermits and nehimama like this.
  13. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

For me if you can't find/put your hand on said objects its not prepping. My dad had 1000 bungee cords but when he needed one he had no idea where to look. Thats hoarding. Outdated dirty leaking cans hoarding. 30 cats hoarding. I did many years as a foster parent so Social service caseworkers were at my place a lot. Had a bad storm no power. Caseworker said bet your glad you have a well.didn't have a clue wells run on electric, how deep they are ect. I showed her my stored water food ect. And i showed her how to flush a toilet with a bucket and 50 gal rain water barrel. the porch.

14. Mish

Mish Well-Known Member

If you know any hoarders in the psychological meaning of the word, it's fairly easy to tell the difference between a prepper, homesteader, and a hoarder. Technically hoarding is when you literally cannot get rid of anything (or find it extremely painful to), even if it's worthless, broken, or spoiled, and yet continue to acquire more of those items because you HAVE to.

Not that prepping, homesteading and hoarding can't overlap, but they're pretty different things with different a psychological basis. One is a mental illness (in it's truest form), the others are rational practicality.

RichNC, emdeengee, Teej and 6 others like this.
  15. HeavyHauler

HeavyHauler Well-Known Member

Not according to some people. To some people, it's the same.

Which of course it is not.

16. haypoint

Oh, lighten up. Your definition of hoarding is flawed.

17. haypoint

If you have enough winter boots to last you the rest of your life, you are a homesteader. If you have enough winter boots to last your lifetime, arranged in boxes marked 2020, 2030, 2040, etc. then you are a prepper. If you own more than three pair of winter boots that don't fit you or anyone you know, you may be a hoarder.

18. City Bound

City Bound Male Supporter

I think stocking up and hoarding are different when intelligence and planning are applied to the accumulation.
    Stocking up thinks and plans ahead for the future. Stocking up sits down and figures out how much of such and such will get me through the winter, how much of such and such will last me till the next crops, how much will keep me until I have to drive two hours to the nearest supermarket. Then the person takes that info and stocks a pantry, a root cellar, a garage according to their needs and their plan for the calender year, or years.

Hoarding is totally emotionally based with very little logic applied to it. Hoarding has no real practical function. A hoarder may have a kitchen stocked with food and that makes them feel emotionally safe but the food is so old it is rotting in the cabinets and covered in roaches that it is poisonous and not safe.

I live only a mile from a super market but I stock up for the winter because when it snows it is hard to move or drive here and whatever is on the shelves at the store get lean whenever the news forecasts a big storm.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 9:20 AM
    Teej, Danaus29 and Terri like this.
  19. TripleD

TripleD Well-Known Member

I might be borderline on Carhartt clothing. I have enough to carry me on out but I see a coat or shirt I like it's mine. I don't need an intervention thanks....

Forcast likes this.
  20. City Bound

City Bound Male Supporter

Geo, what was the name of that movie? I would like to watch it.