Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see it. Do you see it?
Lady changed her story on their age (1yr then only 10mo), said they weren't related, parents were huge and that these two were 15#. LOL :umno:
My guesstimate is 8#, I'll weigh them tomorrow, the buck is bone thin. Both had no water, old, gross pellets and why bother cleaning out the waste in the drop pans?? Animal lover in me wouldn't let them stay there.....They drank nearly their whole cup of water when I first gave it to them....

Golly, at least they actually are a buck and doe!
We'll see if they can grow anymore or at least fill out.

Really don't like the FG breed in general, way too many out there aren't "giant" what-so-ever! 11-12 pounds is not giant. They should all be bare minimum 15# or culled and culled hard! Everyone here has these, few can prove them to be over 12#.

Doe- Both are fairly docile. Her lady parts seemed small, like how immature rabbit bits can be.

Buck- Couldn't be bothered to stop drinking his water for a quick picture.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I see potential there for giant influence like the ears on that buck and the bone type... but either poor culling on top of the poor care won't let them get to size... Glad you got them out of there. :/

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meh, we'll see. Maybe they can spit out something via genetics hidden somewhere in them and make quicker growing kits. If not, the dogs will love them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
At least now they will be cared for in their remaining time. It infuriates me to see animals kept like that. Can't figure out how some people seem to have no shame in letting others witness the disgrace.

.,.yet where I live, neglect seems to be the norm. I really think society is desintegrating.
:mad:

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do ate ALL of her pellets, buck dumped some, but most he gobbled up and water was bone dry over night for both....Probably should of given them less pellets for the first day, but didn't think they'd inhale it like that! =0
Now that they're more relaxed, I can feel that the doe is a bit thin, too. =( Lazy, good natured buns.
Gave them both a second crock of water.
Hopefully, the buck will learn not to be wasteful. Can't really do what I usually do with him, which would be to skip a feeding and give a little and repeat until I can give him a full amount. He's too thin to not be regularly getting food, especially now that it's getting a couple degrees above freezing at night.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
They may have decent genetics... I'd get them healthy and see what they throw. What's the harm? If nothing else there'll be more meat.

I can't stand seeing animals from such poor conditions, I'm glad you got them and will help them.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, read your post and realized I needed to still get weights!
So I weighed all 4 of my buns, pair FG and the rex doe & SF buck that have been living free. SF has been small from the start, his sire was small, so that didn't help him any. But he's sweet and blue, I'll always have a soft spot for a SF....so he stays.

I weighed them a few times to get a more accurate weight. Listed below, but can be seen in pics, too. Depending on how they sit in the bowl, the weight changes. So adding them up and dividing gets me, usually, a very close weight. Now if only you guys could feel their round bellies of food and water of the FG! I wonder how much that weighs? Probably takes up a fair amount of their weight, 1/3 pound, half? No idea. They're pooping fairly normally now, so I'm not too worried.

FG Doe
7.88 & 7.84

FG Buck
7.40 & 7.46

SF Buck

Rex Doe, only one who stayed put and the numbers didn't change. She's due in a week or so.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I just lost my 1.5 year Flem doe. She died in her sleep, I think heart attack. She was a wonderful doe.. She weighed 22 lbs. I don't think that I will get another of her breed even though she was my most loved rabbit.

Thank you for rescuing these rabbits. Something that I cannot stand is a person that does not "fresh water" and feed and treat every day.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good golly, they're still gobbling up ALL the food then water as they can shove down their faces!...Buck hasn't dumped any feed, he did toss his water cups, most likely after he drank it all and got frustrated. Will have to pick up bottles for them. They're getting grasses, weeds, sycamore branches, pumpkin and fresh grass hay. Poops still fairly normal, so I'll continue to let them gobble food like crazy. They should eventually realize the food isn't going anywhere....

On a related note, my fish ate so much last night that he bloated right up to a medium marble size and floated around....Salted the tank and waited, he got most of the poop out and is still round, but acting more normal. Will have to find a new way to feed my bottom dwelling fish....

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Give those FG some time. I think you'll be pleased. Just watch their feet for sore hocks.

What kind of fish?

We raised rabbits when our kids were in 4H. My DH would like to again for meat but we may have to get a little more hungry before that happens. It may just take time and grocery prices escalating. Good luck with your new ones! How much did you pay for them?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just an observation: the buck looks the size of a 5 mos litter of FG I saw when I was SF shopping. Any chance the seller got the age wrong? Also the way his skin hangs suggests dehydration to me. Glad you took them home with you!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No idea how/where you're seeing skin hanging down....?

Lady was lying about age, like I already mentioned in the OP, she said they were a year old and then changed it to 10 months. The only thing she got right is that they are a buck and doe. She could be wrong on breed as well, maybe FG mixes, who knows.

They had no water in their cages when I went to see them, also posted in OP. They just had months of build up, dry bottles and gross, old bits of pellets left in their jfeeders.

In other news, SF was culled this morning.

·
Registered
183 Posts
In the second pic the skin is hanging in folds around his back leg. Also in the second pic on the scale. I had a puppy with skin folds like that and the vet worried about dehydration.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
If your fish bloat try a better food, feeding smaller meals, and offering peas which are a natural laxative for fish. Went through this with my "special needs" betta. :p

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, he's just a gluten that went after an algae wafer ~at night~ with zero lighting. He should of been asleep like the others, but he's a nightowl of a fish....

I used salt and time, feeding him more would of killed him. No room in there after eating two big wafers!

He's totally fine now, I feed 3-6 times a day, they are baby Discus.
I have some wood floating, hoping it will sink soon because it's concave underneath and I can slip food under it so the discus can't eat it. But the wood is taking its merry time, lol.

Rain finally broke for a bit! Will get new weights on them to see if they're growing any. Have some hot wire fence and willow trees to plant as well. Those darned horses better not find a way to eat them!!!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Well, how do you feel he looks compared to before? If he was severely dehydrated he could have been bound up and now he is eating and drinking more properly his system is clearing out?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, reweighed him and he's 8.33#.
Gosh darn pound of food and water!
Guess I'll have to wait much longer to see weight changes based on muscle growth and not just full or empty stomachs!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts