Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about the implications of this one.

Back in the 70's, here in the UK we had a tv programme called "the Survivors". It was about a group of folks who survived a plague, and well for those on this forum you can probably imagine the rest.

The BBC have just started a re-make of "the Survivors" which I switched on for tonight.

The plague on this occasion was flu - now was that just that it is "reasonably" topical and the writers didn't have enough imagination to write in something else? Or was there something behind that.

But in tonight's programme, there was a scene where one character sits another down and asks "when was the last time you did something practical - like milk a cow, or slaughter a pig?" He goes on to tell her how those that survived needed to re-learn all that has been lost. She points out that the information is in books and they can learn - his response is that they will have to - mobile phones, computers etc are gone.

Now for those of us who ponder these things regularly, there is nothing momentous in this scene BUT....... for a BBC programme (main channel) at 9.00pm, this seemed to me like a big step ?

What do you think?

hoggie

·
Registered
864 Posts
The BBC have just started a re-make of "the Survivors" which I switched on for tonight.

The plague on this occasion was flu - now was that just that it is "reasonably" topical and the writers didn't have enough imagination to write in something else? Or was there something behind that.

But in tonight's programme, there was a scene where one character sits another down and asks "when was the last time you did something practical - like milk a cow, or slaughter a pig?" He goes on to tell her how those that survived needed to re-learn all that has been lost. She points out that the information is in books and they can learn - his response is that they will have to - mobile phones, computers etc are gone.

Now for those of us who ponder these things regularly, there is nothing momentous in this scene BUT....... for a BBC programme (main channel) at 9.00pm, this seemed to me like a big step ?

What do you think?

hoggie
I don't ever read much into programs such as this....Threads (A BBC production) was a landmark program in it's own right and nothing ever came of it's plot line making the leap to real life. The same could be said for many other programs of a similar nature/topic of an impending doomsday or the aftermath of it...

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm - it wasn't so much a "what do they know that we don't?" that hit me.

It was the fact that the survival mindset is such a minority over here. You think you are a minority in the states, but here in the UK, it is virtually non-existent.

So for a sentiment such as this to be expressed in this way is quite unusual. My thought was that maybe it will become more mainstream (people ARE influenced by what they see).

We can only hope

hoggie

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Threads (A BBC production) was a landmark program in it's own right and nothing ever came of it's plot line making the leap to real life.
Except Threads came out when Maggie and Ronnie were in office. IMO, some in the UK didn't like either one and wanted people to be afraid.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
You mentioned the flu . . . . Yes, it reasonable that a flu virus could bring about TEOTWAWKI. After all, it was the Spanish Flu that killed 20 million at the end of WWI.

One of the main reasons we won was because, after it had run through the population, we were the most capable of fighting a war.

There are an almost unlimited number of flu viruses, some are worse than others. Most viruses only have one species that they can feed on/in, but they can mutate to jump to a different species.

Bird flu and Swine flu are both a concern, because they have shown a very limited ability to jump species . . . . What if they ability was not limited?

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
I wonder what the reaction (if any) will be from their viewers.

·
Five of Seven
3,295 Posts
The usual reaction of people all through history when warned of possible trouble ahead. Roll over and go back to sleep until something actually happens.:lookout:
History is full of examples of that behavior. Look at New Orleans and Katrina for one.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Hoggie, I think there are more survivalists in the UK than you might know. That BBC actually put something on the air means there are at least a few in the mainstream "powers that be".

A lifetime ago, the UK went through one of the SHTF scenarios. Not a "all the world is wiped out" but it was a close thing for many in Europe. Sounds like some folks in your world are trying to remind the mindless masses what it was like during the first half of the 20th century.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Hoggie, I'll bet you one of the higher up honcho's in the BBC is not so main stream. . . .How else would a program like that get aired without some help "from above".

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Hoggie, there are several people from the UK on the other preparedness boards I belong to, and James Wesley Rawles says he has quite a few readers from the UK at SurvivalBlog, so there may be more than you think over on your side of the pond. Seems like some of the older folks who lived through the last Depression (which did affect most of the world) and through WWII, would probably be getting a bit alarmed at current events.

Also, some of the biggest doomer-gloomers are left-wing greenies -- I've read some of their stuff on peak oil forums (which I no longer frequent because some of those people are so extreme). I think the UK has a pretty good population of that sort, too.

Kathleen

·
I am good without god.
858 Posts
I think people all over the world, unless they are living in day to day survival as a regular matter of course, don't think that anything could ever change what exist as current society.

At least the Brits had actual events that forced survival such as the Blitz in World War II. In the United States we have not really had anything turn our country upside down like crazy for a very long time. We as a nation think that nothing could ever change our world because it is too perfect to ever take a turn for the worst.

I know from my archaeology and anthropology studies that civilizations big and small all over the world were born, grew and died, some over the course of a few hundred years and others over centuries if not millenniums. I know that it has happened in the past and I know it can happen now and in the future. It is not a matter of if it can happen, rather when.

Do I want it to happen? Occasionally I become a bit too pessimistic and I do wish it would come so that we could cleanse the weak and idiotic and the clueless from the gene pool, but then I think about the unintended consequences of such wishing, then I think better of it.

I have stopped trying to educate others until they are willing to listen. I believe that when the student is ready the teach will be discovered.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
I think it is possible that the media wants to play both sides of the fence. On the news front, they want to keep passing along alarming, exciting information that will keep everyone tuning in for the latest details...

OTOH, they are going to take a stab at portraying the same theme as a fictional entertainment option. Will the newly alarmed populace bite? If the show gets a good audience share, then you can bet on there being several copy-cats on the schedule for the next viewing season.

With the media, it is always about money. They don't really care about safety or preparedness or any other such nonsense. They care about cold, hard cash and will do whatever it takes to bring more in. My dh has been in the media industry for 25 years and I have seen apalling examples of how this works over and over.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Maybe they've just seen how popular some of those shows are in the States and want to cash in?

·
Registered
399 Posts
There's a joke here to be made about some of these activities and a country whose goverment won't let citizens do things like ride a bike to school or have a bake sale or fix a barn's slates because of " ealth and safety " but I'm kind of too tired to make it right now.

Maybe it's a cautionary tale or maybe whoever's in programming thinks that it's so far out there scenario wise that it's just good tv. Hard to say. You just have to keep doing what you're doing quietly and under the radar and leave it at that.

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmm - lots of points of view there.

Wisconsin Ann - that is one of the reasons I find it so hard to understand why folks here don't prepare. Especially here in the islands where not only did they live through the war, they also had a very rushed evacuation of the entire population of one island, and the other islands faced German occupation and in a lot of cases near starvation. You would hav ethought there would be lessons there somewhere.

BlueJuniperFarm - that is somewhat reassuring - it would be nice to think that there were at least a few. I think all the furore about H5N1 triggered a few and there is now an online shop selling some very basic kits etc. The govt also started to preach the 72hr kit message a while ago - mainly because of terrorist stuff.

I can't help wondering now that I think about it, anyone REALLY remembering the original show would be at least mid-to late 40s (I remember watching it but don't really remember any details) Can't help wondering if maybe the original programme "triggered" a few latent survivalists, who are now high enough up the ladder to send the message on?

Or maybe it is just media and money.

They have now set up a "survivors interactive" site. I haven't looked at it properly but you get to decide how you would have reacted in different situations that the characters encounter. Then you ge tsome sort of assessment as to what sort of survivor you would be I believe. When I get time to get on there and do it I'll let you know LOL

hoggie

·
Registered
42 Posts
Happy Turkey Feast !!!!!!!!!!! Just wondering what ever happened to the show Jereco ? Hope I spelled it right sorry if not>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts